Tenure track position in Computational Physics (Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Professor) / Tenure Track -tehtävä, laskennallinen fysiikka (tenure track -tutkija/tenure track-professori/professori)
Tampere University is the second largest university and one of the most multidisciplinary universities in Finland. We bring together research and education in technology, health, and society. The University is known for its excellence in teaching and research, and it collaborates with hundreds of universities and organisations worldwide. Our community consists of 21 000 students and over 4 000 staff members from more than 80 countries. Read more: www.tuni.fi/en.
The Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences at Tampere University is inviting applications for a tenure track position in Computational Physics, especially in condensed matter and/or materials physics, and/or quantum physics and/or statistical physics.
At Tampere University, Computational Physics is one of the three strategic focus areas of Physics Unit at the Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences. It includes mathematical and physical modelling, numerical simulations of materials and nanosystems, low-dimensional systems, quantum matter, statistical physics, and complex systems. The application areas are diverse, ranging from quantum devices to medical technologies. Overall, modeling and simulation tools developed in Computational Physics have increasing role in fundamental sciences, and they are also pivotal in the analysis, interpretation, and exploitation of Big Data in multidisciplinary challenges.
We are seeking scientific excellence and potential broadly in the field of Computational Physics, regardless of the specific subfield. However, any of the following specializations are of particular interest for future development of our activities:
- Theoretical and computational condensed matter physics;
- Materials & surface physics ;
- Quantum theory & devices;
- Nonlinear and statistical physics ;
- Multidisciplinary computational physics.
The position will be filled primarily at the level of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or (Full) Professor based on the experience and expertise of the successful candidate. We encourage excellent researchers of all levels of scientific seniority to apply.
At Tampere University, we value diversity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, or age. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
You should have a doctoral degree in physics or a related field, and experience in scientific research in academia. Further requirements for each tenure track level are as follows:
- applicable doctoral degree;
- ability to undertake high-level scholarly activity and potential to establish an independent agenda of scholarly activity at international level of excellence;
- teaching skills required to successfully perform the duties and functions of the position.
- track record of independent scholarly activity on a high international level;
- teaching skills required to successfully perform the duties and functions of the position;
- ability to lead a research group and acquire external funding;
- track record of international scholarly activity.
- high-level scholarly expertise;
- experience of leading scientific research;
- ability to provide high-quality research-based education and instruction;
- track record of winning external research funding;
- track record of international scholarly activity.
Please, read more on our Tenure track career path here.
We are inviting you to be a part of a vibrant, active, and truly international research community. The multidisciplinary research environment offers opportunities to develop research expertise via collaboration, e.g., with different fields of engineering and natural sciences. We are offering an advanced research infrastructure in these areas.
Initial appointment as Assistant Professor / Associate Professor is for five years. Subject to successful performance, you will become a tenured faculty member after the first five-year period. A trial period of six months applies to all our new employees.
Salaries are based on the job demands and employees’ personal performance in accordance with the Finnish University Salary System. A typical starting salary for an Assistant professor is approximately 4400-4700 EUR/month, for an Associate professor approximately 5100-5600 EUR/month, and for a professor a starting salary will range between 5800-6600 EUR/month. Higher salaries may be negotiated for candidates with exceptional experience and/or performance.
We offer a wide range of staff benefits, such as occupational health care, flexible working hours, excellent sports facilities on campus and several restaurants and cafés on campus with staff discounts. Please read more about working at Tampere University.
The city of Tampere is one of the major academic hubs in the Nordic countries and offers a dynamic living environment. Finland provides one of the most advanced and comprehensive social security systems in the world with generous parental leaves, very affordable state-subsidized daycare that is available for all children, world-renowned free primary and secondary education as well as public healthcare.
For more information on Tampere and Finland, please visit:
How to apply
Please submit your application through our online recruitment system (link below). The closing date for applications is January 2, 2024 (at 23.59 EET, GMT+2 / 21.59 UTC).
Please write your application and all accompanying documents in English and attach them in PDF format. Applications should include the following documents:
- A letter of application in which you set out the reasons why you are applying for the position and why you are particularly suited to it;
- Curriculum Vitae according to TENK guidelines;
- List of publications according to Research Council of Finland guidelines. Please indicate your ten most important publications;
- A research plan (max. 5 pages), outlining your proposed research;
- Teaching portfolio prepared according to TAU Guideline on the teaching portfolio;
- The names, positions and contact details of two referees who can support your application (Recommendations letters etc. are not asked at this point).
Candidates may be invited for a video interview during the first stage of the recruitment process. The most qualified candidates will be invited to Tampere University for an interview and may undergo aptitude assessment. They will also undergo a review by external experts and may be required to give a demonstration of their teaching skills.
For more information, please contact:
Dean of the Faculty, Prof. Martti Kauranen, martti.kauranen(at)tuni.fi
Prof. Esa Räsänen, esa.rasanen(at)tuni.fi