Help bring research to life and drive your career forward with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Canada's largest research and technology organization.
We are looking for a Research Associate (RA), Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics to join our Thermometry and Radiometry Team within the Metrology Research Centre. The Metrology Research Centre is committed to fostering innovation through high-precision measurement science and advancements in metrology. The RA would be someone who shares our core values of Integrity, Excellence, Respect and Creativity.
The RA will join a team of experts performing original research and development, advancing the field of metrology in temperature and radiometry through contibutions to the development of a new quantum-based sensing system for temperature and radiometry with an eye to remote sensing for climate.
Using your understanding of physical principles and your hands-on skills, you will work with our team to develop, research and establish a capability for this new new sensing system.
Working with other members of the team, you will:
- Design, participate in, and execute experiments to test and refine our new sensing modality against the current state-of-the-art;
- Plan technical and budgetary recommendations to the Lead for lab apparatus, facility and capability improvements for the new capability;
- Work in the labs with other research and technical team members to support research activities;
- Acquire and analyze data;
- Report and disseminate results.
As part of the RA Program you must have received your PhD in Electrical Engineering optics, physics, engineering physics or a closely related field within the last five years or you expect to receive the degree within the next six months.
A Master’s degree in Engineering Physics, Engineering (electrical, mechanical, other) or in Physics, along with relevant experience may also be considered.
- Experience working in scientific lab setting;
- Experience working with optical components and systems;
- Experience with a variety of laboratory test equipment;
- Experience in general programming and computer interfacing and control of instruments by computer;
- Experience collecting and analysing data; and
- Experience in dissemination of results through conference presentation, peer-reviewed papers.
- Experience with Python;
- Experience in molecular or atomic physics;
- Experience in radiometry.
Condition of Employment
- Solid knowledge of laboratory measurement devices;
- Advanced knowledge of physical principles;
- Solid knowledge of programming languages;
- Advanced ability to conduct experimental research in relevant areas; and
- Solid ability to write high quality research articles, technical reports, and to communicate research findings to partners and clients.
In order to be considered for the Research Associate program please include the following in your application. Failure to do so will result in your application being excluded from searches.