Do you want to work with the UK's Supercomputers?
We currently have two exciting opportunities for HPC Systems Administrators, to join our team here at AWE.
If you have experience working with high performance computers and want a role which supports, the computational services that play a vital role in AWE's scientific and engineering future capabilities, we want to hear from you!
HPC Systems Administrator
Location: Reading area - we are in the located between Reading and Basingstoke, with onsite parking. There are good bus links between Reading, Basingstoke and Newbury.
Package: £38,000 - £65,000 (depending on your suitability, qualifications and level of experience)
Closing Date: 8th December 2023 - If we receive an exceptionally high level of applications, this vacancy may close early, so don't delay, apply now!
Working as part of the High Performance Computing (HPC) Group to provide system administration support for AWE's HPC supercomputers.
You will be part of a team that is managing some of the most powerful supercomputers in the UK and supporting computational services that are essential to AWE's scientific and engineering programmes.
These roles offer excellent opportunity for career advancement.
- Support the planning, installation and commissioning of new HPC systems;
- Provide day-to-day support of HPC systems;
- Configuration management of HPC platform hardware and software;
- Monitor the performance and the reliability of HPC systems;
- Development of in-house tools to support HPC platform administration;
- Overseas travel to attend conferences and collaborative meetings.
To be considered for this opportunity, you'll need the following:
- Experience of Linux operating systems;
- Scripting skills (preferably Python and Bash);
- Awareness of computer security concepts;
- Able to work independently and unsupervised, as well as part of a team;
- Good communication skills;
- Ability to work fully on-site - due to the nature of what we do at AWE and the responsibilities of this role, the role cannot be carried out remotely.
The following would be advantageous but not essential:
- Experience of HPC clustered computing;
- Experience of parallel file systems;
- Experience of first- and second-line user support.
What will you get from us?
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave;
- Working a 9-day fortnight, employees have every other Friday off work;
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time;
- Maternity Leave - 39 Weeks Full Pay;
- Paternity Leave - 4 Weeks Full Pay;
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training;
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services;
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution);
- Life Assurance;
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending savings;
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family;
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and well-being - more information available on our careers site.
Important things you need to know:
- Interviews will be scheduled during working hours;
- Interviews will be 90 minutes in length, and will be held over Microsoft Teams. You will be required to prepare a 10-minute career summary presentation in advance;
- Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role. This will be funded by AWE.
* Agencies: Please note that we do not out-source our recruitment