AWE have an exciting opportunity for an Accelerator Scientist.
This is at a time where we are developing our capability to world class standards utilising the latest technologies. The successful candidate would be hired at the inception of this new project stage and help to develop it from a proposal to reality.
Location: Reading area - we are in the located between Reading and Basingstoke, with onsite parking. There are good bus links between Reading, Basingstoke and Newbury.
Package: £33,770- £48,000 (depending on your suitability, qualifications and level of experience)
Closing Date: 17th December 2023 - If we receive an exceptionally high level of applications, this vacancy may close early, so don't delay, apply now!
AWE have an existing light ion accelerator used to deliver high energy neutrons for internal and external customers and are looking to replace this accelerator with new capabilities. AWE is considering a range of options including a 5 or 8 MV tandem accelerator combined with beam optics for a range of ion species, to enable ion transport and species selection and temporal shaping and bunching.
As the Accelerator lead you will support the operation, maintenance, improvement, and obsolescence management of the accelerator(s), this will include an understanding of ion transport and its development. Initially the role will include supporting the Accelerator(s) specifications, requirements and building relationships with suppliers and the Accelerator international community. From there it will involve the procurement and installation. The candidate should be able to show aptitude in problem solving and have the core skills needed to modernise, improve, and develop existing and new diagnostics.
The expectation is the right candidate will grow into the role with experience being seen as an advantage. Training and development of practical skills will be part of the role as required.
Working with the operations, diagnostic, facility, scientist, customer community, delivery unit and support teams such as but not limited to Radiation Protection and contractors. Ensuring the accelerator(s) are performing to specification to meet the trials schedules and stakeholder requirements. Maintaining knowledge of state-of-the-art technologies to advise on upgrade potential and obsolescence management.
- Collecting and managing data in accordance with UK standards;
- Assisting with routine and non-routine maintenance on these facilities, as required;
- Using appropriate software and data capture tools to record diagnostic out puts and analysis;
- Providing suggestions for improvements of operations, upgrades, and new detection techniques;
- Preparing the machines for trials and supporting the trials teams;
- Ensuring safe, secure, and clean operations;
- Analysing data to monitor trends and machine performance.
- Becoming a member of the Accelerator international community
Whilst not to be considered a check list, candidates should be able to demonstrate some of the following:
- Degree level knowledge in Physics (2:1 or above), Engineering Physics or comparable subject (essential) and post-graduate qualifications (desirable) connected with working on ion accelerators or accelerator mass spectrometers;
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written, excellent team working ability, proactive, and highly organised;
- Broad understanding of working with hazardous materials and equipment and health & safety;
- Willing to travel and work at other UK and overseas sites as required.
Understanding and working knowledge of the:
- Chemistry of ion sources;
- Nuclear properties, reactions, isotopes, and chemistry applicable to Accelerator operations;
- Operation of ion accelerators;
- Detection and analysis of ion species and charge states;
- Working with radioactive materials.
What will you get from us?
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave.
- Working a 9-day fortnight, employees have every other Friday off work.
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time.
- Maternity Leave - 39 Weeks Full Pay.
- Paternity Leave - 4 Weeks Full Pay.
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training.
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending savings.
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family.
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site.
Important things you need to know:
- Interviews will be scheduled during working hours.
- Interviews will be 90 minutes in length, and will be held over Microsoft Teams. You will be required to prepare a 10-minute career summary presentation in advance.
- Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role. This will be funded by AWE.
* Agencies: Please note that we do not out-source our recruitment