Location: Malvern, England, GB
Package: Competitive Salary + Benefits Package
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Be part of the QinetiQ journey. Join us as a Principal Quantum Scientist at our Malvern site, where you will have the opportunity to work with cutting-edge technology and many of the industry’s most brilliant minds.
QinetiQ is investing in the growth of quantum technology as an emergent strategic capability. In line with this, we are recruiting a Principal Scientist or Engineer to join the existing quantum computing team and take a lead role in the growth of the capability within the company.
As a Principal Quantum Scientist , you’ll have a role that is out of the ordinary, actively developing QinetiQ’s capability in quantum computing;
Leading the technical direction and delivery of portfolios of quantum computing projects, technically leading complex projects, coordinating a larger team and providing specialism where this fits your experience.
- Liaising with customers at a capability level to enhance our understanding of their requirements, and theirs of QinetiQ’s offerings;
- Directing the production of costed proposals / bids for opportunities; overseeing the development of the technical solution and proposal;
- Providing independent review of technical outputs from quantum technology projects;
- Understanding capability gaps and opportunities;
- Mentoring and training staff in the applications of quantum computing in order to grow the capability;
- Presenting of technical outputs and findings to senior customers and stakeholders, being articulate in conveying both the technical detail and the ‘so what’ for the customer.
This role is full time, 37-hours per week; based at Malvern Technology Centre with a flexible, hybrid working arrangement working from home / working from the office.
Essential experience of the Principal Quantum Scientist
- Experience working in an adjacent field to quantum computing (e.g. data sciences, AI, high performance computing);
- Willingness to acquire domain knowledge in the field of quantum technology, in particular quantum computing;
- Track record of technical leadership and delivery of complex projects, ideally in a research environment;
- Able to manage multidisciplinary teams of engineers and scientists and a broad range of internal and external stakeholders whilst building and maintaining excellent relationships;
- Able to communicate effectively with people at all levels across the business, and externally with customers, suppliers and other stakeholders, with an ability to communicate complex technical subjects to a non-expert audience.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- An understanding of quantum technology including computing, communications, sensing and position navigation & timing;
- Practical experimental experience using quantum systems;
- Understanding of hybrid quantum/classical systems engineering;
- Understanding of Technical Assurance;
- Experienced in the development and maturation of technology through the engineering lifecycle;
- Experience of one or more of QisKit, PyQuil, BraKet.
Qualifications for the Principal Quantum Scientist
We value difference and we don’t have a fixed idea when it comes to background or education, provided you can show the required level of experience then we would like to hear from you.
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance, as a minimum: UKSV National Security Vetting Solution: guidance for applicants - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Adaptive and flexible working
- Generous holiday allowance
- Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance
- Matched contribution pension scheme, with life assurance
- Employee discount portal: Personal Accident Insurance, Travel Insurance, Restaurants, Cinema Tickets and much more
- Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows most employees to buy up to 5 days’ additional leave
- We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant
- Payroll Giving and Volunteering - helping charities and local community
Our volunteering programme enables our people to use their professional skills to make a positive difference in our local communities, for example STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) ambassador days in schools. We support a number of charities that are important to our people, including those which help the defence community.
Why Join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in a diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Visit our website to read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture.
As a company of thousands of dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants who already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information, which mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may affect the roles that you can be employed in.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please contact your regional recruiting team in strictest confidence. We’re committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone’s free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.