Senior Acoustic Stealth Scientist
Location: Farnborough, England, GB
QinetiQ has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Acoustic Scientist to support the growing Acoustic Physics Team to help develop novel technologies and conduct research and experimentation into the areas of acoustic metamaterials and classical acoustic materials. The successful applicant will be part of a dynamic team in a multidisciplinary research environment comprising of Engineers, Physicists, Material Scientists and Chemists.
You will provide high level scientific expertise (both theoretical and practical) and make increasing contributions to the strategic direction of this exciting team and be responsible for the design, execution and delivery of complex and innovative research programmes in the area of acoustic stealth materials. The role is based at our site in Farnborough, Hampshire.
Responsibilities: You will be a part of the growing Acoustic Physics Team within Applied Science/Engineering and Operations and be actively involved in developing bespoke solutions for novel applications across the breadth of QinetiQ.
Your responsibilities will include
- Take responsibility for, independently deliver and lead technical tasks relating to novel acoustic materials and measurements in line with contracted activity.
- Contribute to and support team management.
- Author and provide advice and consultancy for internal and external technical programmes and bids.
- Oversee the prototyping and implementation of our technology and products.
- Prepare, design and participate in the setup of acoustic experiments and trials.
- Be accountable for managing your own time and technical progress in order to meet agreed goals and deadlines.
- Keep detailed technical records and logs.
Requirements and essential qualifications
- A PhD or other higher degree in Physics or relevant scientific discipline.
- Recognised expert in their field.
- Minimum three years’ experience in either a relevant industrial or academic position.
- Problem-solving and innovative mindset.
- Good understanding of wave physics and a good understanding of modelling and materials design.
- Good interpersonal, influencing and team working skills.
- Good planning, organisation and coordinating abilities.
- Customer facing skills: good listening and questioning skills to fully understand customers’ requirements and problems, good relationship building skills.
- Experience of research programmes involving modelling and materials testing.
- Experience of writing technical proposals, reports or papers and of technical communication.
- Background in acoustics and metamaterials.
- Demonstrable expertise in the use of analytical modelling of underwater acoustics and the application of modelling technologies in materials design.
- Experience of a research and development environment.
- Demonstrable experience of using finite element modelling tools.
- Experience of Matlab, MathCAD or similar for producing technical data.
Security Clearance: You will be a UK national. If successful, you will be put through Ministry of Defence security clearance procedures to obtain SC clearance.
How to Apply: If you are interested in this opportunity and meet the criteria, apply online today to be considered for an interview.
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. People around the world depend on us for their safety and security, and to enable the safety and security of others. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Our is a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines, and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, we get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Come and find out how you can play a role.