Senior Scientist Accelerator Physics – Tenure Track
Limited: initially limited to 5 years with the possibility of conversion to a permanent position | Starting date: earliest possible | ID: APMA016/2021 | Deadline: 01.09.2021
DESY, with its more than 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world's leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The Photo lnjector Test facility at DESY in Zeuthen (PITZ, near Berlin) develops high brightness electron sources for Free-Electron Lasers (FELs) like FLASH and European XFEL. The PITZ facility will be expanded to advance the research and development of tumor therapies with short irradiation durations at high dose rates as well as high electron beam energy (so-called FLASH and VHEE radiotherapies). The extremely wide parameter space of the electron beams generated at PITZ and the high flexibility of the facility allow unique research opportunities for most advanced radiation biological studies and future tailored applications at humans. We are looking for a scientist with strong accelerator experience, who will perform and coordinate extensive beam dynamics studies supporting the experimental program at PITZ.
About the role
- Work in one of the world-leading international groups of physicists and engineers for further developments of high brightness electron sources and their applications.
- Perform and coordinate detailed beam dynamics simulations, including start-to-end simulations for radiotherapy.
- Analyze experimental data and perform benchmark simulations.
- Participate in the operation of the PITZ accelerator, coordinate dedicated measurement programs.
To be successful in this role
- Master's degree in physics with PhD or equivalent qualification.
- Strong background in space charge dominated beam dynamics simulations.
- Profound experience in development and operation of accelerator facilities and their applications.
- Very good command of English, knowledge of German is a benefit.
- Experience in radiation biology or radiation therapy and similar accelerator applications is advantageous.
Good reasons to join
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration according to the collective labour agreement (TV-AVH).
Applications (in German or English) should include a detailed curriculum vitae, publication list, explanations and evidence of experience background and 3 names for references.
We look forward to receiving your application via our application portal.
DESY promotes the professional development of women and therefore strongly encourages women to apply for the position to be filled. In addition, severely handicapped persons with equal aptitude are given preferential consideration. The advertised positions are basically suitable for part-time employment.
You can find further information here: https://www.desy.de/career
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392