Physicist – Time Metrology
The International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) is an intergovernmental organization whose mandate is to provide the basis for a coherent system of measurements throughout the world, traceable to the International System of Units (SI). The BIPM is based in Sèvres, in the outskirts of Paris (France), and has an international staff of about 70. Further information can be found on www.bipm.org.
The BIPM seeks to recruit a Physicist in the Time Metrology Department:
Grade: A9/A10 (based on qualifications and experience)
Deadline for applications: 15 October 2021 (midnight Paris time)
Type of contract: Indefinite term – Full-time appointment
Location: Sèvres, Paris suburb, France
Principal duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Director of the Time Department, in view of the expected retirement of a senior scientist, the successful applicant will:
- Contribute to the generation, maintenance, and improvement of the UTC and associated services of the Department.
- Coordinate and contribute to studies of GNSS time transfer techniques, including their future developments with the aim of improving UTC time and frequency transfer.
- Contribute to the studies on the role of primary and secondary optical frequency standards, and their optimal use in UTC with the CCTF related Working Groups.
- Contribute with metrological rigor to the discussion and to the work for the possible redefinition of the second.
- Coordinate and contribute to the program of calibration of GNSS time transfer techniques, including the establishment of correct procedures and data analysis tools in cooperation with the CCTF related Working Groups.
- Proactively follow the development of new time and frequency transfer techniques for their possible introduction into UTC, in collaboration with the NMIs, and the related CCTF Working Groups, including liaison with IGS, GNSS providers, and the geodesy community.
- Develop the necessary algorithms and their software implementation for research and test on the matters above, harmonized with the overall UTC algorithm and software of the Time Department.
- PhD or equivalent qualification in technical fields related to metrology.
The ideal candidate has at least 5 years of progressively relevant experience of time and frequency metrology and/or GNSS time transfer and related applications.
Skills and competencies
- Strong technical skills in time and frequency metrology and/or in the development and operation of advanced time and frequency transfer techniques based on GNSS and geodetic techniques.
- Good knowledge of programming languages such as for example FORTRAN, Python, Matlab. Basic knowledge of Perl, MySQL, and Unix shell script may be useful.
- Good communication skills (oral and written) and inter-personal skills.
- Capacity to work in a team as well as to work independently.
- Sense of commitment, rigor, precision, transparency, and a proactive approach on attaining objectives.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and maintain effective working relationships inside and outside the organization.
- A fluent level of spoken and written English (for report writing, oral presentations and technical discussions).
- Although proficiency in French is not essential at the outset, the candidate will be expected to acquire a working knowledge of French after taking up the post, with lessons provided as necessary.
Terms of employment
The BIPM offers for this position an indefinite term full-time appointment, with an initial probationary period of 6 months renewable once for a period of 6 months at a maximum.
The annual gross salary will be from 58,394 euros (Grade A9) to 69,671 euros (Grade A10), depending on qualifications and level of experience, plus expatriate and family allowances based on eligibility. Salaries and allowances are exempt from income tax in France but taken into consideration for the calculation of the effective taxation rate, depending on the marital situation.
Benefits include a minimum of thirty working days’ vacation per year. The BIPM provides a contributory pension scheme and private health insurance for staff, which can be extended to cover dependents.
The BIPM is an international environment and encourages the applications of all qualified candidates from all countries. Assistance is offered in case of relocation for accommodation searches, school for children, VISA/residence permit, etc.
Please send a C.V. and a covering letter (in English) to email@example.com by midnight, Paris time, on 15 October 2021.
Applications should include the names of two persons who can comment on the applicant's suitability for the post (who will only be contacted with the prior permission of the candidate).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. They may be requested to participate in an online interview as part of the selection process, scheduled in November 2021. Thereafter, successful candidates will be invited to an interview. The selection process may be modified according to the evolution of the current health crisis and the corresponding containment measures.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for this post as a result of this selection process.
The BIPM retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy, to make an appointment at a different grade, to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than the one indicated in this vacancy announcement.
Apply for Physicist – Time Metrology
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly