An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Theoretical/Applied Physicist with a focus on the RF/microwave bands of the EM spectrum, to join a leading Global Defence Technology & Security organisation. You will work within the Applied Sciences business unit based at Farnborough, Hampshire.
You will be a part of the RF Physics team (Signatures and Comms) within the Electromagnetics & Acoustics Group and, through your experience of modelling and wave propagation, will be actively involved in delivering the design of stealth materials. The role is ideally suited to an EM physicist with experience in numerical and analytical modelling techniques.
The responsibilities will include:
- Delivery of high quality analytical and numerical data analysis and interpretation to project leads/Customers.
- Support to the project managers to deliver the schedule on of time and within budget.
Requirements and essential qualifications
- Appropriate technical or scientific qualifications, for example PhD or similar.
- Good analytical skills, as well as evaluative judgement based on the analysis of factual and qualitative information in complicated or novel situations.
- Ability to apply theoretical principles and concepts to a range of projects; resolve problems by identifying and selecting solutions based on experience and precedents.
- Experience of writing technical reports or papers and technical communication.
- Experience in using FEA, FDTD, PO/PTD, MM or FMM techniques for the analysis of electromagnetic problems in the RF and microwave bands.
- Experience of using appropriate programming languages and/or program to analyse scientific data (e.g. Matlab, R, python etc.).
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in the design of metamaterials.
- Demonstrable expertise in the domain of electromagnetics relating to RF control and propagation, such as RF. transmission, reflection and absorption optimisation.
- Knowledge of the design of antenna structures.
This role will require the applicant to apply for, and receive, a Security Clearance (SC) and to be a UK national.
Why Join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation, courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.