Magnet Design Engineer
Abingdon Rd, Culham, UK
Department: Central Engineering
Salary: £49,396 to £52,293 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension
Confirmed Grade: Level 5
Site Location: UKAEA Culham, Oxfordshire
By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in contributing and helping to shape the future of the world’s energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and Stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs. UKAEA are at the forefront of realising energy from fusion, working with industry and research partners to deliver the ground-breaking developments that will underpin tomorrow's fusion power stations with the aim of bringing fusion electricity to the grid.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking to recruit an innovative and experienced Magnet Design Engineer to support in the development of a magnet design capability for the Spherical Tokamak for Energy Production (STEP).
STEP is an ambitious national programme that is exploring the options, challenges and solutions for accelerating the delivery of fusion power which is expected to operate in a hitherto uncharted high beta burning plasma domain.
You will be part of a multidisciplinary team to deliver complex and highly technical projects and you must have a good understanding of material characteristics at cryogenic temperature and cryogenic cooling. This is a perfect opportunity for a strategic magnet designer to contribute in paving the way to future commercial energy plants, working with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
What will you be responsible for?
- Development of superconducting magnet concept design.
- Definition of magnet related technology projects that support the concept design development.
- In partnership with the Senior Magnet Designer develop engineering plans to meet the programme and deliver to performance, time, cost and quality criteria.
- Collaborate across the STEP product areas to develop an integrated fusion reactor design.
- Communication of magnet design progress through reviews and regular updates to the STEP Senior Magnet Engineer and Product Delivery team leaders.
Essential skills, experience and competence required
- BEng or BSc in a scientific or engineering discipline.
- Background in the design, development, testing and manufacture of superconducting magnet systems including development of conceptual designs.
- Understanding of material characteristics at cryogenic temperature and cryogenic cooling.
- Experienced in a range of engineering analysis tools for magnet system design.
- Demonstrable experience collaborating with a range of key stakeholders.
- Good understanding of modern standards for Quality Assurance, Safety and Health and the Environment.
Desirable skills, experience and competence required
- Achieved or working towards Membership of a recognised professional institution.
- Experience in the guidance of others in the use of magnet engineering analysis tools.
- Experience in the preparation of documents for proposals and tenders.
- Experience in collaborating with suppliers in delivery of technical design, manufacturing and testing.
What we offer
- A competitive salary.
- A culture committed to being fully inclusive, supported by a Being Inclusive Strategy and Inclusion Ambassadors.
- An Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders, with a full calendar of health and wellbeing initiatives.
- Flexible working options including family friendly policies.
- Emergency leave (paid).
- 30.5 days annual leave (including privilege days and 3 days between Christmas and New Year) increased with length of service.
- Wide range of career development opportunities (e.g professional registration, internal promotions, coaching and mentoring programme).
- Outstanding defined benefit pension scheme.
- Annual corporate bonus scheme.
- Relocation allowance (if eligible).
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particular from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities, (visible and hidden) and women. Our dedicated Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Partner, with the support of our Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the organisation to help make our organisation an employer of choice. We are easily accessible by car and are a 10 minute walk from Culham Railway Station.
Please be advised that this vacancy will close on the 23rd August 2021 and may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
Please note all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance – The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions.