Software Developer – Wireless
- BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- Guildford, UK
- Closing date
- 29 May 2022
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence works with governments and businesses around the world to help them defend against cyber threats, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation and transform their operations.
The Wireless Products group works with customers to develop innovative mission critical technology. Applications include software radios, space technology and underwater systems.
We are looking for bright, enthusiastic and committed individuals to work as software developers in one of our customer-facing product teams. Relevant industry experience is preferable but most of all we are looking for bright, enthusiastic and committed individuals with a strong academic background and the ability to learn quickly.
We have a range of roles available, from graduate entry through to experienced developers. We are interested in hearing from anyone who can make a strong contribution to our work.
What you could be doing for us:
Depending on your project assignment and level of experience, you may work on some or all of the following:
- High performance application design and development in C++ and related languages.
- Developing and deploying software which typically includes low level development (eg real-time software, drivers, embedded software etc.) and requires an understanding of the underlying hardware systems.
- Managing technical tasks/projects and people
- Be involved in customer-facing delivery, sometimes to challenging deadlines.
- Customer-facing technical consultancy
- Have a strong interest in expanding technical knowledge both in areas of core expertise and more generally.
- Work towards gaining the experience required to take technical lead roles.
- Mentoring and coaching junior colleagues
What background are we looking for?
We are looking for ambitious, high-calibre people with the following characteristics:
- Highly motivated with a strong academic background typically in Engineering, Physics or Mathematics with a 2:1 or 1st class degree. PhD applicants also encouraged
- Proven problem-solving skills
- Broad interest in wireless technology, embedded systems and awareness of latest industry developments.
- Ability to multi-task and stay organised in a dynamic work environment
- Excellent team working abilities
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to produce high-quality software
- Understanding of low-level computing concepts
- C++ experience
- Development on and for Linux based embedded systems
- Range of other development skills, including C (for embedded systems), Java, HTML5, React/Redux, Python, GDB
- Modern software development methodologies such as Agile and Test Driven Development
- Proven track record of successfully delivering high quality software solutions
- Understanding of radio communication systems and concepts
How we will support you:
- Work-life balance is important; you’ll get 25 days holiday a year and, via our flexible benefits package the option to buy/sell and carry over from the year before
- Our flexible benefits package includes; private medical and dental insurance, a competitive pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, taste cards and more
- You’ll have a dedicated Career Manager to help you develop your career and guide you on your journey through BAE
- Don’t know a particular technology? Your learning and development is key to your future career
- You’ll be part of our bonus scheme
- You are welcome to join any/all of our Diversity and Support groups. These groups cover everything from gender diversity to mental health and wellbeing
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence:
We help nations, governments and businesses around the world defend themselves against cyber-crime, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation, and transform their operations. We do this using our unique set of solutions, systems, experience and processes.
Our success is down to our people. The changing nature of our business means that we’re constantly looking for the brightest talent to help us fulfil our ambitions. As an experienced professional, we’ll entrust you with responsibility; this means that you’ll have client contact, variety and support from day one.
We'll encourage and support you to develop your skills and reward you as you grow. Whatever your area of expertise, you'll be much more than just a job title; you'll be an integral part of the business where your individual contribution makes a difference every day. Great minds deserve great rewards, so we also offer a very competitive salary and benefits package.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Staying competitive in today’s global marketplace requires an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.
Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Due to the nature of our work, successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government SC clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance
Life at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Applied Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4500 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
Why work for us
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence plays a significant role in keeping our country safe and it is something that we’re extremely proud of. We’re a team who enjoy making "things" and understanding how technology works. We are a diverse group of experts who are working at the forefront of technology, exploring how we can solve some unique challenges in support of our customers and their critically important National Security work.
Training and development
We offer a blend of professional and technical training and learning on the job, while being supported by the very best in the industry to make sure you hit the ground running. We empower you to take responsibility, with the ability to work on cutting edge, industry-leading technology projects, where you make a real difference. All of this is designed to complement your career development, fuel your ambition, and give depth to your training and career. While your career is your own, you will be encouraged and supported to attain industry-recognized qualifications.
We run three graduate programmes: engineering, project management and consulting. Our engineering programmes require a 2.2 degree (some require 2.1) in a relevant tech/cyber or STEM subject. The project management and consulting programmes require a 2.2 degree from any discipline. The graduate programmes are designed to give you ownership of your career aspirations, supported by training and practical experience to help you succeed. Initially, you will be part of our future talent community and be assigned a career manager, who will support and guide you throughout your career with us. All of this is designed to complement your career development, fuel your ambition, and give depth to your training and career.
What we are looking for
We’re looking for people who are hungry for a technical challenge, want a noble and rewarding mission, enjoy making things or understanding how technology works, who want to develop their skills and enjoy solving complex problems. In particular, we’re looking for:
- Graduates typically in the fields of cyber/tech/computer science, electrical and electronic engineering, physics, mathematics (we also offer consultancy graduate programmes, which are open to any discipline)
- Software developers/engineers, electronic engineers, DSP engineers, FPGA developers, front-end developers, consultants etc.
WATCH OUR VIDEO (click on image)
Our clients span multiple technologies, platforms and media across the globe. With office locations around the world – there's probably an office near you
Number of employees
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4500
Positions recently recruited for
Software engineers/developers, electronic and electrical engineers, roles in digital signal processing FPGA, computer vision scientist. We are looking to significantly expand our wireless and cross-domain capabilities. Roles recently fulfilled are our "wireless product engineer (physics, maths, compsci and EEE)" and "engineering and physics" graduate roles
Desired degree disciplines/class
The majority of our graduate programmes will accept a degree grade of 2.2 in a relevant tech/cyber or STEM subject. Also some roles require 2.1 in physics, mathematics, computer science, electronic and electrical engineers or 2+ years industry experience as one of digital signal processing FPGA developer, software developer, front-end developer or electronic engineer
Eligible to work in the UK
How to apply
All year round
Tel +44 (0)3301585268
- +44 (0) 3301585268
170 Priestley Road
Surrey Research Park
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert