Senior Optical Scientist (Laser and Optical Physics (Effects)
The Laser & Optical Physics (Effects) team at QinetiQ Farnborough are looking to add an enthusiastic and talented individual to their team of subject matter experts. Through your experience of optical systems you will be actively involved in delivering work packages relating to novel optical systems.
Responsibilities would include:
- Planning, development, and deployment of optical systems;
- Planning and technical leadership of projects as appropriate;
- Providing input to larger projects as part of a team of subject matter experts;
- Undertaking technical tasks relating to HEL development, test and evaluation;
- Engaging with relevant stakeholders from a variety of backgrounds.
Requirements & Essential Qualifications
- PhD or equivalent time in industry in a relevant field (minimum 3 years);
- A robust understanding of laser and optical physics;
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of optical design;
- Understanding of issues affecting choice and design of optical materials and coatings;
- Experience working with laboratory test and measurement equipment/instrumentation;
- Awareness of laser safety practices and standards;
- Familiarity with Matlab and/or Labview;
- Experience engaging with stakeholders to capture requirements;
- Experience in technical project planning and delivery;
- Eligible for full security clearance.
- Planning and running trials activities;
- Laser safety assessment;
- Laser optics at kW level, preferably including fibre lasers, beam quality management and opto/thermomechanical effects;
- Data analysis and machine control in Matlab and/or Labview;
- Professional standard optical design tools such as Zemax, and related 3D engineering or modelling packages;
- Awareness of Systems engineering practices;
- Through-life Engineering;
- Working on both MOD and commercial projects.
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum.
UKSV National Security Vetting Solution: guidance for applicants - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.