Project Electrical Engineer
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois as well as other locations around the world including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and additionally the South Pole!
The Fermilab Particle Physics Division seeks highly motivated engineering candidates to join its Electrical Engineering Department. This group participates in the design and operations of leading-edge experiments including neutrino research, the Large Hadron Collider, the Mu2e experiment, quantum science, dark matter and dark energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and in locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
The selected candidate will be expected to work closely with project engineers and physicists during the design, test, production and integration of various electrical and electronic components which are part of large or small detectors. Specifically, the candidate will provide oversight and design expertise for systems associated with the detector, working closely with subsystem project design experts.
An immediate need exists for team member to join the Mu2e experiment. This experiment is based at Fermilab and is entering the production and integration phase.
The ideal candidate will:
- Participate in multiple project and subsystem planning meetings and reviews
- Provide oversight and feedback to project managers on all electrical/electronic aspects of the project including building infrastructure design, power and grounding and the detector elements and readout electronics
We Are Looking For
- BS in Electrical Engineering plus 12+ years or experience, or MSEE/PhD with 10+ years of experience
- Experience with system integration and debugging, including noise abatement
- Analog circuit design knowledge/experience with emphasis on low noise circuits, including board layout and simulation
- High-speed digital design knowledge/experience, including board layout and simulation
- Knowledge/experience with FPGA firmware design flow and digital simulation
- Knowledge/experience with power supply design, and power conversion circuits
- Proven supervisory, communication, documentation, and collaboration skills
- Readiness for working on challenging projects
- Strong computer skills and competence in performing analytical engineering calculations
- Ability to travel and work in experimental areas
- Demonstrated good judgment and ability to independently research and learn or improve upon required skillsets listed under job responsibilities.
- Willingness to contribute effectively within a diverse workforce and uphold Fermilab’s commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
FRA encourages all employees to be fully vaccinated and boosted to prevent transmission of COVID-19 and to mitigate against severe illness from infection. Upon employment with FRA, all employees must state their vaccination status. Please note that all vaccination and testing requirements are subject to change. Testing of unvaccinated employees may be required for Fermilab site access, depending on community transmission levels.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes a diverse and inclusive environment based on mutual respect is essential to our mission. Fermilab is committed to recruiting and developing the most hardworking people and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, country of birth, geography/postal code, disability, marital status, parental or gestational status, or other non-merit factor.
Applicants should apply via ATS/URL link: https://jobs-us.technomedia.com/fermilab/?offerid=1387