PhD Position at PITZ
6 days left
- Job type
- Academic: PhD/MSc
For our location in Zeuthen we are seeking:
PhD Position at PITZ
Limited: 3 years | Starting date: earliest possible | ID: APDO003/2022 | Deadline: 31.07.2022 | Part-time
DESY, with more than 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world's leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The Photo-Injector Test facility at DESY in Zeuthen (PITZ, near Berlin) focuses on the development of high brightness electron sources for Free-Electron Lasers (FELs) such as FLASH and the European XFEL as well as on applications of high brightness beams like the world’s first THz SASE FEL and unique research capabilities for tumor radiotherapy and radiation biology.
About your role:
- Work in one of the leading groups developing and testing photo injectors and their applications in an international team of physicists and engineers
- Participate in the shift operation of PITZ for accelerator R&D
- Candidates are invited to apply for 3 different PhD topics (please specify which topic you are interested in):
- Development of advanced electron beam diagnostic techniques, (e.g., for transverse phase space and slice energy spread characterization at different gun gradients, and relevant beam dynamics studies)
- Research on accelerator-based THz sources (SASE, seeding, etc.) and detailed characterization of the generated THz radiation
- Application of high intensity, ultra-short electron beams for the most modern form of radiation therapy, including parameter space studies for radiation biology and FLASH radiation therapy, cooperation with biology and medicine institutes
- Excellent master’s degree in physics, engineering, biology or medicine or equivalent qualification
- Knowledge of accelerator physics and accelerator technology or radiation biology and radiation medicine
- Experience in beam dynamics and FEL physics is useful, especially for the first 2 PhD topics announced
- Good knowledge of English is required, knowledge of German or willingness to acquire fundamental German language competencies is of advantage
Good reasons to join:
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work-life balance we offer flexible working hours, variable part-time and job-sharing. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a publicly funded employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration is according to the regulations of the TV-AVH. DESY offers its employees a financial supplement for a job ticket at both locations.
We look forward to receiving your application via our application portal.
DESY promotes equal opportunities and diversity. The professional development of women is very important to us and therefore we strongly encourage women to apply for the vacant position.
Applications from severely disabled persons will be given preference if they are equally qualified.
You can find further information here:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392