Technical & Market Expert Director - Industry Engagement
- Commensurate with experience
- Closing date
- 14 Aug 2022
- Education & communications, Optics, lasers & photonics, Quantum science & technology
- Job type
- Industry & business
The Technical & Market Expert Director is an individual with advanced technical expertise and solid commercial experience. The position reports directly to the Deputy Senior Director of Operations and regularly interacts with the Chief Technology Officer. This position has a range of responsibilities in the areas of membership relations, program development, event management, communications, and administrative tasks related to membership/corporate programming. The individual must be self-motivated, an effective communicator, capable of executing strategic plans, results-oriented, and responsive to stakeholders. The abilities to manage workload and prioritize tasks in a fast-paced non-profit environment are essential to this role.
- Participates in all phases of corporate membership recruitment and renewals, especially within the director’s area of technical expertise.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with key stakeholders/thought-leaders in the photonics field, especially within the director’s area of technical expertise.
- Manages a portfolio of Optica member companies. Responsible for connecting these members with networking contacts and resources that meet their needs and interests.
- A key contributor to the achievement of department benchmark goals, e.g., member recruiting and retention, lead generation, etc.
- Responsible for developing a subset of the department’s in-person and online industry programs. Tasks include identifying compelling topics, scouting and engaging companies relevant to the topic(s) as participants and presenters, organizing/managing the program agenda, etc.
- Leverages LinkedIn and other resources to inform targeted stakeholders of events and to distribute post-event information.
- Collaborates with staff and external contacts to assure event logistics are well executed.
Content Development and Delivery
- Disseminates quality, timely photonics content as a presenter during Optica in-person and online meetings and at other industry events.
- Represents Optica and specifically the corporate membership team during industry exhibitions. Tasks include partnering with internal staff, to support with the Optica exhibit booth, leading technical presentations, and conducting demonstrations for assigned shows.
- Writes articles and conducts interviews for industry publications and online media.
- Negotiates with market analysis firms for the development and distribution of material.
- Participates in the development and review of Optica market reports and other materials to assure quality, relevance, etc.
- Participates in department performance tracking and reporting.
- Contributes to governance council updates and presentations.
- Participates in quality assurance checks of the department’s output, e.g., website content and outgoing messages. Provides input and suggestions for process improvements.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ph.D. in photonics, quantum technology, or equivalent.
- Five to seven years of experience.
- In-depth knowledge of photonics technologies and markets is required.
- Solid experience working in the photonics commercial sphere or equivalent is required.
- Proven experience developing and presenting strategic and performance plans.
- Strong track record of high integrity, good judgment, confidentiality, and discretion.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building skills in-person, online, and by phone.
- Ability to effectively communicate in a global, multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills, multilingualism is a plus.
- The ability to successfully work in a team and independently.
- A high level of integrity and accountability and the willingness to go above and beyond expectations to deliver positive results in all areas.
- An outgoing personality and the ability to ask insightful questions as a means of understanding constituents' needs and influencing others.
- A strong desire to deliver positive Key Performance Indicator (KPI) results.
- Proven organizational, administrative, and IT skills.
- An understanding of how professional societies and non-profit organizations work.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, and the ability to balance strategic and immediate needs.
- Ability to adapt and be effective despite the ambiguity associated with a fast-paced, high-growth environment.
Estimated Travel: ~45 days per year, including member and prospect visits, and travel to Optica and peer events.
Located in Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, DC, USA. Optica, formerly OSA, offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert