Communications & Networks Engineers, Architects & Development Researchers
Dstl Porton Down, Salisbury, Wiltshire or Dstl Portsdown West, Fareham, Hampshire
About the job
Can you help UK Forces find the next generation of communications and networks?
Are you interested in using your skills on classified projects you cannot work on anywhere else?
Do you want to be part of a team that conducts cutting-edge science and engineering?
Cyber and Information Systems Division’s (CISD) Command, Control, Computers and Communications (C4) Systems group are looking for talented people to support the growing demand for delivering evidence based resilient sensing, information and effector systems for defence and security.
We are seeking individuals with relevant qualifications and/or experience from Academia, Private and Public Sectors (including the Armed Forces) to fill the following types of role:
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
We particularly welcome female and ethnic minority applicants and those from the LGBTQI community, as they are under-represented within Dstl at these levels.
In this role you will:
- Bring your background and thinking to guide the research of novel techniques and capabilities to work on a variety of exciting and challenging problems that owing to their sensitivity cannot be done elsewhere.
- Make a difference and have pride in what you do; our work improves the front-line capability of the UK Armed Forces, keeps British citizens safe and support national prosperity.
- Form links across Dstl, Government, industry and academia. We work with an array of partners both at home and abroad including the Armed Forces, other Government departments and industry.
- Develop your career in exciting new areas that are growing to meet ground breaking challenges.
- Support Group wide technical activities such as technical forums, monthly meets and lightning talks and the mentoring of junior staff.
- We’re proud of our impartial status, doing things for the right reasons.
Dstl aims to attract the best talent. We recognise the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
We actively encourage and welcome applications from those who work alternative working patterns (part-time, job share, term-time only etc.). Please be prepared to discuss this if you are selected for interview. You can also discuss your working pattern with the recruiting line manager or talent acquisition adviser at the application stage if preferred.
We are looking for someone who has:
- The ability to develop positive and effective working relationships with internal colleagues and external stakeholders, partners and suppliers.
- Able to successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Have the ability to think systematically, logically and creatively.
- A strong focus on learning new skills and techniques in order to keep current and continue their own professional development.
- The ability to work collaboratively to deliver results.
- A desire to deliver world-class science and technology with the sole purpose of keeping the UK, our armed forces, security services, and our citizens, safe and secure.
We expect technical / scientific experience drawn from two or more of the following core skills, including:
- Antennae and propagation
- Bearer emulation and modelling
- Bearer management and analysis
- Transmission Security (TRANSEC)
- Knowledge of communications standards
- RF communications
- Spectrum management
- Waveform design
- Understand the conceptual ISO 7-Layer model with a focus on layers 1 to 4 (physical, data-link, network and transport).
- Physical Layer algorithm design
- Link Layer algorithm design
- Information Theory
- Wired and wireless bearer technologies
- Emerging Technology Monitoring
- Research Skills
- Systems Thinking
- Technical Writing
- Technical Partnering
- Critical Thinking
- Engage with industry
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be UK Nationals who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to undertake the projects we are involved in to protect us from security threats. For this reason, only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years. For some roles Developed Vetting will also be required, in this case you should have resided in the UK for the past 10 years.
If you are a current Dstl employee, you are encouraged to inform your line manager of your application as they can support you through the process and should you be successful it will help in negotiating a release date.
Dstl is strongly encouraging blended and flexible working either at one of our sites or from home or both. We want to empower you to undertake your duties at the most appropriate location for the task, however you will be allocated a Dstl site as a base. You may be required to travel to other Dstl and MoD sites as required.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Working Together
- Seeing the Big Picture
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
- Fully flexible working, including alternative working patterns, annualised hours, compressed hours and job share, to name a few.
- Flexible Working hours, a 12 month reference period and the ability to bank hours. Up to 37 hours can be taken in any calendar month.
- Excellent learning and development to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
- Chartership and accreditation support.
- Generous annual leave, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
- A competitive salary. Onsite gyms and restaurants.Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
- Race, Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities.
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
Sifting will take place every 2 weeks with successful applicants being invited to attend either an online or face to face to interview.
Applicants invited to interview will undergo a combined Technical and behaviour based interview which will assess their experiences and behaviours relating to the requirements detailed in the attached job profile.
We want you to have your best chance of success in our recruitment process, so If at any stage of the application process you would like help or assistance please contact the Dstl Recruitment Team email@example.com and we will do all we can to support you.
We offer a guaranteed interview for all disabled applicants who provide evidence in their application of meeting the minimum essential requirements of the post, set out in the job description. You will be asked to indicate if you are applying under this scheme when you submit your application.
Dstl is participating the Great Place to Work for Veterans Scheme. If you are a Veteran and meet the essential criteria for this position you will be offered guaranteed progression to the next stage of the assessment. You will be asked to indicate if you are applying under this scheme when you submit your application.
We actively encourage and welcome applications from those who work alternative working patterns (part-time, job share, term-time only etc.), Please be prepared to discuss this if you are selected for interview. You can also discuss your working pattern with the recruiting line manager or talent acquisition adviser at the application stage if preferred.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
The Civil Service also offers a Redeployment Interview Scheme to civil servants who are at risk of redundancy, and who meet the minimum requirements for the advertised vacancy.
Apply and further information
This vacancy is part of the Great Place to Work for Veterans initiative.
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
- Name: Dstl Recruitment
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Recruitment team :
- Email: email@example.com
Should you wish to raise a formal complaint about the Dstl recruitment process you should email firstname.lastname@example.org stating the nature of the issue. We will respond within 5 working days.