RF Scientists, Engineers, System Engineers
Dstl Porton Down, Salisbury, Wiltshire or Dstl Portsdown West, Fareham, Hampshire
About the job
Can you help to protect the UK from emerging RF and cyber threats?
Are you interested in using your skills on classified projects you cannot work on anywhere else?
Do you want to be part of a team that conducts cutting-edge science and engineering?
Cyber and Information Systems Division (CISD) are recruiting a range of people including software engineers, hardware engineers, systems engineers and Radio Frequency (RF) engineers to provide appropriately assured solutions for end users for defence and security for the UK and her allies. We transform innovative ideas into solutions, providing the Ministry of Defence and wider government with a specialist capability that no one else can. Our work is truly unique with real impact on the lives of our armed forces, both on an individual level and as a whole.
Dstl is the science and technology arm of the Ministry of Defence. As part of UK Government we do sensitive and specialist work that cannot be done anywhere else.
Our Electronic Warfare Technology and Enterprise (EWTE) Group; Sensing Group; Space Group; and Cyber Groups, as part of the Cyber and Information Systems Division, are charged with ensuring that the UKs Armed Forces are able to operate successfully within the congested and contested electromagnetic battlefield.
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
We particularly welcome female and ethnic minority applicants and those from the LGBTQI community, as they are under-represented within Dstl at these levels.
In these roles you will:
- Work on and/or lead a variety of interesting and challenging problems that owing to their sensitivity cannot be done elsewhere.
- Make a difference and have pride in what you do; our work improves the front-line capability of the UK Armed Forces, keeps British citizens safe and support national prosperity.
- We’re proud of our impartial status, doing things for the right reasons; we’re impartial and not in it for profit!
- Be trusted by Industry, Academia and partner nations alike.
- Form links across Government, industry and academia. We work with an array of partners both at home and abroad including the Armed Forces, other Government departments and industry.
- Develop your career in exciting new areas that are growing to meet cutting-edge challenges.
- Work in various national/international locations to trial equipment performance
- Undertake targeted and relevant training in both technical and soft skills
In some roles you will also:
- Lead or work as part of a team to design and build electronic systems using a combination of COTS modules, bespoke components and software defined hardware.
- Evaluate electronic systems by examining their physical circuity, schematics or code associated with hardware description languages.
- Use laboratory test and measurement equipment – in combination – to perform the analysis and testing of complex electronic and RF circuits and sub-systems.
- Analyse and design software defined wireless modulation schemes and digital signal processing techniques.
Dstl aims to attract the best talent. We recognise the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
We actively encourage and welcome applications from those who work alternative working patterns (part-time, job share, term-time only etc.). Please be prepared to discuss this if you are selected for interview. You can also discuss your working pattern with the recruiting line manager or talent acquisition adviser at the application stage if preferred.
If you are someone who has knowledge or experience in the one or more of the following areas:
- RF circuit design and implementation
- Hardware, software and firmware design and implementation
- Antenna design and implementation
- Good understanding of Analogue Electronics or Digital Electronics or RF Comms for design or reverse engineering tasks.
RF Signal Processing:
- Digital Signal Processing design and implementation in software (C/C++) and VHDL for SoC-FPGA
- Knowledge/ Experience of hardware description languages e.g. VHDL and/or Programming languages e.g. C / C++ / Python.
- Data Processing and Analysis
RF Test and Evaluation:
- Practical experience using Electronics or RF testing and measurement equipment e.g. Oscilloscopes/ Spectrum Analysers/ Signal Generators
- Research and development, verification and validation of RF systems
- Experience of experimentation and assurance testing – particularly over the air trials, bench testing, modelling and simulation.
- RF propagation
- modern modems and digital Satcom systems, particularly SDR/Software definable modems and VSAT systems
- High capacity Satcom waveforms: DVBS2, QPSK, QAM
- Satcom signal processing and resilience techniques: Interleaving, CDMA, Spread spectrum, error correction etc.
- Waveform design, FPGA programming, Jamming and Jamming mitigation techniques, STT&C systems
- Specific satellite and ground segment subsystems, including AOCS, TT&C, Data Handling, Software (OBSW/EGSE), Thermal, Electrical Power, Structural and Operations, with a solid working knowledge of complementary domains and subsystems
- Technical hobbies, such as amateur radio, coding and use of tools such as software defined radio, Arduino and Raspberry pi
….and if you have a desire to deliver world-class science and technology with the sole purpose of keeping the UK, our armed forces, security services, and our citizens, safe and secure.
Then we really want to see your CV!
Candidates for this post will ideally have experience or qualification in a relevant STEM field such as: Physics, Electronic Engineering, Communications Engineering, Software Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mathematics or a similar field.
A higher degree (MSc or PhD) in a related subject is desirable although we are also keen to hear from those with equivalent experience.
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be UK Nationals who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to undertake the projects we are involved in to protect us from security threats. For this reason, only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years. For some roles Developed Vetting will also be required, in this case you should have resided in the UK for the past 10 years.
If you are a current Dstl employee, you are encouraged to inform your line manager of your application as they can support you through the process and should you be successful it will help in negotiating a release date.
Dstl is strongly encouraging blended and flexible working either at one of our sites or from home or both. We want to empower you to undertake your duties at the most appropriate location for the task, however you will be allocated a Dstl site as a base. You may be required to travel to other Dstl and MoD sites as required.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Working Together
- Communicating and Influencing
- Developing Self and Others
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
- Fully flexible working, including alternative working patterns, annualised hours, compressed hours and job share, to name a few.
- Flexible Working hours, a 12 month reference period and the ability to bank hours. Up to 37 hours can be taken in any calendar month.
- Excellent learning and development to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
- Chartership and accreditation support.
- Generous annual leave, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
- A competitive salary. Onsite gyms and restaurants.Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
- Race, Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- Starters Network
- Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities.
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
Sifting will be taking place every 2 weeks, with successful applicants being invited to attend either online or face to face interview.
Applicants invited to interview will undergo a combined Technical and behaviour based interview which will assess their experiences and behaviours relating to the requirements detailed in the attached job profile.
We want you to have your best chance of success in our recruitment process, so If at any stage of the application process you would like help or assistance please contact the Dstl Recruitment Team firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do all we can to support you.
We offer a guaranteed interview for all disabled applicants who provide evidence in their application of meeting the minimum essential requirements of the post, set out in the job description. You will be asked to indicate if you are applying under this scheme when you submit your application.
Dstl is participating the Great Place to Work for Veterans Scheme. If you are a Veteran and meet the essential criteria for this position you will be offered guaranteed progression to the next stage of the assessment. You will be asked to indicate if you are applying under this scheme when you submit your application.
We actively encourage and welcome applications from those who work alternative working patterns (part-time, job share, term-time only etc.), Please be prepared to discuss this if you are selected for interview. You can also discuss your working pattern with the recruiting line manager or talent acquisition adviser at the application stage if preferred.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
The Civil Service also offers a Redeployment Interview Scheme to civil servants who are at risk of redundancy, and who meet the minimum requirements for the advertised vacancy.
Apply and further information
This vacancy is part of the Great Place to Work for Veterans initiative.
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
- Name: Dstl Recruitment
- Email: email@example.com
Recruitment team :
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you wish to raise a formal complaint about the Dstl recruitment process you should email email@example.com stating the nature of the issue. We will respond within 5 working days.