Overall Purpose of the Job:
Your role will support the delivery of hydro-acoustic tasks that will likely include elements of experimental measurement and numerical prediction undertaken using test facilities within the UK and Europe and a high performance computing cluster. You will work with the domain lead, task leads and project managers throughout the lifecycle of projects, from capturing customer requirements, through planning, task conduct, data analysis to delivering results by written reports and oral presentations. Throughout the life-cycle you will ensure that yours and the work of those working with you meets quality requirements, is delivered on schedule and to budget.
Specific responsibilities and challenges:
- Ability to recognise and resolve non-standard, challenging occurrences and problems with work assignments;
- Provide technical expertise in a customer facing and delivery focused environment;
- Perform engineering/technical assignments requiring the integration of a wide range of engineering/technical disciplines;
- Prepare written documentation on whole or segments of overall project;
- Exercise considerable discretion on a variety of complex assignments;
- Ability to work as an individual or part of a team and deliver whole or parts of projects;
- Remain proactive in new techniques and communicate these to colleagues;
- Interaction with project management and QinetiQ technical staff to align outputs;
- Identifying innovative solutions within time and budget constraints;
- Contribute to innovative solutions to customers’ problems;
- Carry out technical trials and contribute to their design and reporting;
- Production and delivery of tasks within time and budget constraints;
- Provision of responses to customers’ technical requirements within agreed timeframes;
- Continuing professional development of self.
Essential Education, Qualifications and Training
- BEng/BSc (1 or 2:1) in relevant technical applied science/engineering subject appropriately aligned with acoustical/optical/fluid measurements/modelling;
- In lieu of degree qualification, relevant technical experience working in a science or engineering role;
- Membership of, or suitability to join, an aligned professional institution, e.g. IOA, IOP, IMechE, IET.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- Mix of practical and numerical skills and willingness to undertake desk and laboratory work;
- Mathematical ability necessary to undertake turbulence, acoustic and vibration calculations/predictions/data manipulation in MatLab and Excel;
- Good analytical skills and evaluative judgment based on the analysis of factual and qualitative information in complicated or novel situations;
- Contributing as a team member to complex scientific/engineering tasks in acoustics;
- Drafting technical documents, e.g. reports, technical specifications and project plans;
- Familiarity with technical risk and appropriate mitigation.
- Willingness to take responsibility for sub-tasks within technical projects;
- Awareness of relevant health and safety measures and processes.
Ideally 1 or more years’ experience of 2 or more of the following:
- Experience of model-scale testing, design, preparation use of models, preferably in hydrodynamic/acoustic testing;
- Experience, ideally experience of, noise, vibration and flow measurement techniques;
- Experience of optical/laser-based vibration and flow measurement methods;
- Understanding of engineering mechanical design processes, assurance calculations and low-volume manufacture;
- Familiarity with the UK Military and/or Commercial Marine industry.
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements:
- Strong communication and diplomacy skills are required to guide, influence and convince others, in particular colleagues in other areas/departments and external customers/agencies;
- Able to think conceptually and translate into viable practical technical solutions;
- Make reliable and consistent judgments under minimal supervision;
- Sound planning and organisation skills;
- Flexibility in relation to work and deployment;
- Excellent team working skills;
- Clear thinking and adaptable;
- Ability to apply basic principles to solve complex problems;
- Ability to take responsibility for situations and work tasks;
- Ability to delegate work to others and motivate team to achieve a task;
- Must be sole UK National and have appropriate security clearance or be prepared to undergo vetting process.
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum.
UKSV National Security Vetting Solution: guidance for applicants - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits.
You’ll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.