At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Come and join a great team pushing the limits of superconducting accelerator magnets, to shape the future of CERN's largest accelerator. CERN, take part!
The Magnets, Superconductors and Cryostats (MSC) group of the Technology Department (TE), has the mandate to design, construct, and measure the superconducting and normal conducting magnets for the CERN accelerator complex; integrate them in the CERN accelerator complex; design the magnet cryostats and perform the magnet quality control. The group also provides support to the operation of the accelerators for magnets, magnet performance and devices.
The Cryostat and Machine Integration Section (CMI) is responsible for the design and construction of cryostats for accelerator superconducting devices, integration of technical systems, and installation in the machine. It is also in charge of the maintenance of the LHC SC magnet cryostats and construction of spares. These activities take place in a dedicated facility on the CERN site, which is complemented by a storage building. The CMI Section is currently working on the design and construction of various equipment for the work packages of the HiLumi HL-LHC Project , and on the maintenance of LHC SC magnet cryostats.
As an Electromechanical Technician for the construction of cryo-assemblies in the CMI section, you will:
- Construct and assemble of cryo-magnets and superconducting devices for test stations and particle accelerators.
- Contribute to development programs and prototyping activities in relation with the engineering and construction of cryo-assemblies.
- Manufacture mechanical and sheet metal parts, as per drawings and bespoke in some cases, in view of their integration in cryo-magnets and superconducting devices.
- Produce, install, and commission bespoke tooling for the construction and assembly of cryo-magnets and superconducting devices.
- Develop and produce instrumentation feedthrough systems and plugs for cryo-magnets and superconducting devices.
Technical certificate or general secondary education or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanical engineering, electromechanical engineering, or a related field.
- Proven experience in electro-mechanics, manufacturing techniques, and assembly of complex systems to tight tolerances.
- Demonstrated experience in the fabrication of mechanical parts on conventional machine tools like lathe, and milling machines as well as forming of shells on rolling or folding machines and forming of metal precision pipe works.
- Experience in the development of first-of-a-kind systems, which require the construction of mockups and special tooling.
- Experience in the fabrication and assembly of vacuum vessels and cryostats.
- Experience in the development and fabrication of plugs for leak tight feedthroughs made of non-metallic materials would be an asset.
- Construction, test and installation of electromechanical equipment and systems.
- Manufacturing of mechanical parts.
- Good command in reading technical drawings, including ISO-GPS dimensioning.
- Knowledge of sheet metal and pipe forming techniques.
- Basic knowledge of Computer Aided Design software such as AutoCAD, Catia or SolidWorks.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises. Presenting information accurately and objectively.
- Working in teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information. Cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Building relationships: showing courtesy and consideration in dealings with others. Showing a sincere interest in the concerns and perspectives of others Showing appreciation for the ideas and contributions of others and encourages others to express their views, even if controversial.
Spoken and written English or French. Good knowledge of the other language or willingness to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 22.08.2022.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (4 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: TE-MSC-CMI-2022-63-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electromechanical Technician