Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie, 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.
The Fermilab Particle Physics Division seeks highly motivated engineering candidates to join its Electrical Engineering Department. This group participates in the design and operations of leading-edge experiments including neutrino research, the Large Hadron Collider, the Mu2e experiment, quantum science, dark matter and dark energy.
Open Date: July 7, 2022
Close Date: August 7, 2022
The selected candidate will be expected to work closely with project engineers and physicists during the design, test, production and integration of various electrical and electronic components which are part of large or small detectors.
The ideal candidate will
- Design firmware using FPGA vendor tools. This includes developing synthesizable code incorporating custom and vendor-supplied IP blocks, as well as designing testbenches for functional simulation and verification.
- Participate in digital, analog, and mixed-signal circuit board design using Altium schematic entry and layout tools
- Conduct analog circuit simulations using SPICE or other analysis software
- Produce documentation and present status of plans and results at project meetings
We Are Looking For:
- BS in Electrical Engineering with 8+ years of engineering experience, or a Master’s or PhD with 6+ years of engineering experience.
- Interest in Digital, Analog, and Mixed-signal circuit design
- Readiness for working on challenging projects
- Capability of working both independently and as part of a design team in a research and development environment
- Strong computer skills and competence in performing analytical engineering calculations, in drawing schematics and in documentation
- Ability to orally present ideas and results in a group setting
FRA encourages all employees to be fully vaccinated and boosted to prevent transmission of COVID-19 and to mitigate against severe illness from infection. Upon employment with FRA, all employees must state their vaccination status. Please note that all vaccination and testing requirements are subject to change. Testing of unvaccinated employees may be required for Fermilab site access, depending on community transmission levels.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes a diverse and inclusive environment based on mutual respect is essential to our mission. Fermilab is committed to recruiting and developing the most hardworking people and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, country of birth, geography/postal code, disability, marital status, parental or gestational status, or other non-merit factor.