What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. We have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. We also use our unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
Would you like to use your experience in data, machine learning and AI to support the UK National deterrent? Do you enjoy designing and developing machine learning or statistical models? If so, this could be your next role! Can you contribute to AWE’s capability to build insights and information from our wealth of diverse datasets?
AWE is looking to appoint a Data Scientist for Machine Learning and AI. The role comes with a host of benefits as well as great opportunities for career and professional development.
Location: Reading area
Package: £33,300 - £45,000 (dependant on suitability and level of experience)
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offers an attractive array of benefits which include:
- Generous holiday entitlement 270 hours a year (inclusive of Bank Holidays) plus every other Friday off
- Flexible working hours
- Potential opportunities to travel with work for conferences and international collaboration
- Consideration for either full time or part time hours. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Working with Top 500 supercomputers for your data analysis and modelling
- Market leading contributory pension scheme
- AWE Life Insurance
- Salary sacrifice benefits scheme
The difference you’ll make in this role:
- Contributing solutions to real-life scientific, engineering and business challenges across AWE; producing real-life improvements to timescales, safety and quality
- Providing decision making support for the business through data exploration, analysis and modelling; working in a team of specialists to provide information and insights using your data analysis knowledge
- Contributing to the digital future of AWE by designing and developing statistical models, machine learning and AI models using appropriate libraries, software and tools
- Participate in all phases of the data science lifecycle from Proof of Concept to fully tested products/solutions
- Develop deep understanding of the nuclear defence sector and the opportunities for transformation from AI & Data
The Key skills & experience you’ll bring:
- Degree in a STEM or IT discipline, equivalent NQF level 6 qualification or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of data collection and visualisation tools
- Ability to develop code in languages like Python, MATLAB, R or C++
- Ability to integrate and work well in a team and support or take the technical lead in projects
It would also be advantageous for you to have any of:
- Structured approach to problem solving
- Ability to convey complex and highly technical issues to diverse audiences
- Understanding of big data tools
- Familiarity with common Python libraries for data management, statistical analysis, machine learning and visualisation
- Experience of working in MS and Unix/Linux environment
- Ability to develop code (such as machine learning and AI models) in appropriate software
- Knowledge of machine learning model types and effective processes
- Ability to capture technical requirements and produce appropriate implementations
- Understanding of parallel programming concepts
- Familiarity with software development lifecycle
We will consider applications from individuals at different stages of their career – recent Graduates or a qualified Scientist with industry experience. Previous experience of Data Science would be an advantage but is not essential.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role at AWE.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country’s nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and people with disabilities.