To strengthen our team in the department ‘Non-destructive Testing’ in Berlin-Adlershof starting as soon as possible, we are looking for a
Head of Division "Thermographic Methods" (m/f/d)
Salary group B 1 BBesO (Director and Professor)/non-tariff remuneration
Official/permanent employment relationship
Full-time / suitable as part-time employment
The Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung (BAM) is a materials research organization in Germany. Our mission is to ensure safety in technology and chemistry. We perform research and testing in materials science, materials engineering and chemistry to improve the safety of products and processes. At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences.
Your responsibilities include:
- Research activities in active and passive thermography in non-destructive testing (NDT), preferably in current fields of application such as additive manufacturing and metallic and non-metallic materials/material composites in wind turbines
- Impulsive support and own acquisition of third-party funded research projects
- Personnel and professional leadership and motivation of a qualified interdisciplinary team of approx. 20 staff members as well as supervision and promotion of young researchers
- Strategic further development of the department in the interdisciplinary context of the departments and the subject areas of BAM
- Active participation in the department head team of Department 8 "Non-destructive Testing"
- Active shaping of change processes within the department and BAM
- Continuous development and establishment of national and international networks
- Positioning of BAM as a federal research institution through participation in national and international standardisation bodies
- Successful/outstanding scientific university degree specialising in the field of physics or an engineering science
- Very good PhD and far-reaching scientific achievements in non-destructive testing with a focus on thermography
- Leadership personality with experience in the personnel and technical management of scientific-technical work and interdisciplinary team
- Comprehensive experience in the independent processing of scientific questions, successful acquisition of third-party funds, publication and presentation of scientific results and the supervision of young scientists
- Fluent command of German and English
- Experience in committee work, regulation formulation and policy consultation are an advantage, as is involvement in scientific Networks
- Team-oriented working style with very good communication/information skills and a high level of empathy/interpretation as well as integration behaviour and gender equality
- A high degree of initiative/commitment, decision-making ability, goal-oriented and structured way of working, conceptual, strategic and innovative thinking skills as well as assertiveness/negotiating skills
- An attractive position at the interface between science, business, politics and administration
- A permanent employment
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Flexible working hours and mobile working
Applicants who meet the prerequisites will generally receive a salary according to BesGr. B 1 BBesO. A promotion according to BesGr. B2 BBesO is possible at a later date provided that the applicant is suitably qualified, competent and performs professionally within the framework of the available positions.
In the case of applicants who do not meet the career requirements for federal officials at the time of recruitment, a non-tariff remuneration shall be agreed upon. The probation period in accordance with § 34 BLV and § 31 TVöD shall apply in this case.
Candidates from the public sector shall be asked for a declaration of consent in order to consult their personal files. At the same time, you shall be prepared to carry out any subsequent inspection that may be necessary in accordance with the German Screening Act (Sicherheitsüberprüfungsgesetz - SÜG).
We welcome applications via the online application form by 31.08.2022. Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, quoting the reference number 172/22-P to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung (BAM)
Referat Z.3 – Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
The President of BAM, Prof. Ulrich Panne, will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have regarding this position by phone at +49 30 8104‑1000 or by e-mail at Ulrich.Panne@bam.de and Dr. Ulrike Ganesh, by phone at +49 30 8104‑1800 or e-mail at Ulrike.Ganesh@bam.de.
BAM pursues the goal of professional equality between women and men. We therefore particularly welcome applications from women. In addition, BAM supports the integration of severely disabled persons and therefore especially welcomes their applications. With regard to the fulfilment of the job advertisement requirements, the application documents are examined individually. Recognised severely disabled persons will be given preferential consideration if they are equally suitable.
The advertised position requires a low level of physical aptitude.
BAM actively supports the compatibility of work and family and has been certified as a family- and life-phase-conscious employer by the "audit berufundfamilie" since 2015.