At IOP Publishing our Cloud Compliance & Architecture team provide the critical underlying AWS capabilities that our product teams need to operate their services reliably.
We are a 100%-cloud organisation and have just completed the final move of our infrastructure to AWS and Azure. The team you would be joining is responsible for the management of a lot of the common services across the enterprise as well as a small number of services on behalf of some of our non-technical teams.
As well as moving everything to AWS we have also started to devolve responsibility of technologies out to the relevant product teams who have their own embedded Platform and DevOps Engineers. The Platform Engineer role will be helping us to progress our strategy to decommission or deprecate old services, transfer ownership to product teams or build new services that can be used in a self-service model across the enterprise.
The role will be key in helping us get to the next level, where we are able to provide value-add services, modular and re-usable code that leverages our knowledge in AWS to be consumed by the other Product Teams.
What does the job entail?
- We are primarily working with Packer, Ansible and Terraform
- We want to be working on more containers and serverless
- We are making progress in deprecating Puppet and Cloudformation
Your job will be to help us with all of this.
Successful applicants should demonstrate the following:
- Technical degree or equivalent experience
- Understanding of fundamentals of Computer Science
- Certifications preferred: AWS, Linux essentials - LPI 101
- Previous experience working in an Enterprise class IT Operations department that provides technical support, monitoring, and incident response.
- Experience in configuring and managing Linux based infrastructure in an Enterprise environment.
- Experience of maintaining an Enterprise IT service in a Public Cloud environment (AWS, Azure or Google Cloud).
- Experience of use of code repositories such as Git or similar.
- Experience of writing Infrastructure as Code (IaaC) using Terraform.
- Exposure to “DevOps” style working practices, developing and automating solutions. related to Continuous Integration/ Continuous Delivery using tools such as Jenkins.
- Experience with scripting including, but not limited to: Bash or Python.
- Experience of using Configuration Management tools such as Puppet.
- Knowledge and direct experience implementing ITIL based service delivery principles and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and tasks within an agile and dynamic operational environment.
- Experience managing and deploying containers at an enterprise scale.
- Experience designing and deploying serverless architecture.
- Experience with AWS best practice and familiarity with the well architected framework.
We know it is unusual for someone to tick every box so, if you don’t meet all the criteria, but demonstrate most of the skills and experience we are looking for, and have the enthusiasm to work with us, go ahead and apply.
What we offer:
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer employees an excellent pension scheme (up to 12% company contribution), discretionary annual bonus scheme, 25+ days holiday (not including bank holidays), standard 35-hour working week, volunteering days, and a comprehensive benefits package including private medical insurance, life assurance, and a range of flexible benefits such as cycle to work scheme, discounted gym membership, healthcare cash plan, and payroll giving.
Our modern and contemporary offices are based in the thriving city centre of Bristol, a stone’s throw away from Temple Meads train station, and within walking distance of Cabot Circus shopping centre, and numerous cafés and restaurants. Named on more than one occasion as the best city in the UK to live in, Bristol is a cosmopolitan and creative city boasting a historic harbour, internationally renowned cultural institutions and home to world-class festivals and events.
The contractual location of this role is our Bristol office, but we have recently moved to a hybrid working model with a dynamic and blended combination of office and remote working, dependent on business and team requirements.
As there will not be a requirement for the person in this role to be in the office on a weekly basis, we are open to considering applicants from a wider geographical area who are happy to travel to Bristol once per week, subject to business needs.
To apply, please submit your CV and cover note through our careers site.
We aim to review applications soon after they are received, and will arrange interviews when there’s someone we’re keen to meet, so please don’t hold off applying until the closing date is approaching - we don’t want you, or us, to miss out!
IOP Publishing is an international scientific publisher, through which leading-edge research is distributed worldwide. Our rapidly expanding journals programme is published alongside other sources of scientific information in the form of eBooks, magazines and conference proceedings. Other publications include easily accessible community and regional websites. We are a world leader in the development of electronic publishing for the scientific community and have offices in Europe, Asia and the US. Working in the interests of science and scientists, we aim to maximise the impact of the research we publish.
IOP Publishing is central to the Institute of Physics, a not-for-profit society. Any financial surplus earned by IOP Publishing goes to supporting science through the activities of the Institute. With a continuing focus on growth, we recognise that every single person has a real part to play if we’re to achieve our aim of becoming the world’s leading publisher in our field.
IOP Publishing is an equal opportunity employer. Our goal is to ensure that diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are built into our identity in a way that is natural and sustainable, visible through the work we produce, our company branding, our professional networks and the communities we serve and support, which includes our employees, talent communities and candidates. We particularly welcome applicants from under-represented backgrounds.
Our vision is that diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are built into our identity in a way that is both natural and sustainable and that is visible through the work we produce, our Ways of Being, our company branding, our professional networks and the colleagues and communities we serve and support.