Full funding is available to Home Students
EU/overseas students are welcome to apply if in receipt of external or self-funding. For exceptionally academically strong international students with proven research potential the CDT may be able to assist with applications to University of Manchester scholarships(President’s scholarships, Dean’s scholarships). Visit our website for information and guidance.
About the CDT
Established in 2013 with EPSRC funding and now supported by the University of Manchester and industry, Graphene NOWNANO CDT offers PhD training in research and innovation for future leaders in science and applications of the fast-growing family of two-dimensional materials. The CDT is working closely with the National Graphene Institute, Graphene Engineering and Innovation Centre and Henry Royce Institute for Advanced Materials. The team of potential PhD supervisors across 6 academic departments at Manchester University includes two Nobel laureates and 11 highly cited researchers (ranked within 1% of their disciplines) who are responsible for a number of breakthroughs in graphene/2D materials research and continue to lead the world in this area.
In preparation for challenging interdisciplinary research projects the students initially complete a 6 month taught programme of courses and projects in fundamentals of 2D materials and core research techniques. In later years of PhD this is followed by further training in innovation and commercialisation of research, transferrable skills, secondments either in academia or industry and an active outreach programme introducing graphene and 2D materials to the general public.
- World-class research in graphene and other 2D materials, their science and applications, including;
- Experimental and theoretical physics of nanodevices based on 2D materials;
- 2D heterostructures: materials on demand;
- Synthesis, fabrication, characterisation and modelling of 2D materials;
- Applications of graphene and other 2D materials in electronics, photonics, spintronics, electrochemistry, composites, filtration and separation, drug delivery, regenerative medicine, and other new and developing areas;
- Vibrant interdisciplinary environment;
- Network of fellow scientists (over 60 students following the CDT programme at any given time);
- 6-month training in fundamentals of 2D materials and research techniques to prepare for challenging research projects;
- Training in innovation and commercialization of research;
- Network of industrial partners;
- Fully funded secondments in industry or partner research institutions.
Who we are looking for:
We welcome applications from graduates with an excellent degree (first or upper second) or an equivalent international qualification in science (physics, chemistry, materials science), engineering, or biomedical disciplines. Applicants should be enthusiastic and looking for a challenging, interdisciplinary research training environment.
How to apply
Online applications for a September start will be available from the previous October.
Visit https://www.graphene-nownano.manchester.ac.uk/ for details or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews are ongoing and will continue until we have filled all available places. Early applications are strongly encouraged.