To strengthen our team in the division "Micro Non-Destructive Testing" in Berlin-Steglitz, starting as soon as possible, we are looking for a
Postdoctoral research associate (m/f/d) in the field of physics, materials science, mechanics, engineering or cf.
Salary group 13 TVöD
Full-time / suitable as part-time employment
The Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung (BAM) is a materials research organization in Germany. Our mission is to ensure safety in technology and chemistry. We perform research and testing in materials science, materials engineering and chemistry to improve the safety of products and processes. At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences.
We are looking for talented people to join us.
Your responsibilities include:
- Autonomous handling of complex and interdisciplinary research using advanced (imaging) characterization techniques such as diffraction, computed tomography and X-ray refraction (especially in-situ high temperature and load) with laboratory and synchrotron radiation sources
- Coordination of beam time for X-ray refraction at BAMline (BESSY II) and user support: execution of experiments, data analysis and interpretation, problem-oriented use of X-ray refraction techniques
- Active participation in the development of scientific and industrial applications of X-ray refraction methods and computed tomography
- Development of own research topics as well as acquisition and management of third-party funded research projects
- Positioning BAM as a research institution through participation in national and international standardization bodies, advisory boards and scientific boards
- Expansion of existing as well as initiation and coordination of new projects / collaborations within and outside BAM; establishment of national and international networks
- Management of projects in the field of materials characterization of composite materials (plastics, metals, ceramics) and complex materials (e.g. AM materials, high entropy alloys)
- Presentation of results at conferences and relevant events as well as relevant publication activity
- Supervision of young scientists (master and PhD students)
- PhD degree in the field of physics, materials science, mechanics, engineering or comparable, with very good marks
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the use of X-ray techniques for material characterization (diffraction, computed tomography, X-ray refraction)
- Extensive knowledge and experience with the development of measurement equipment and methods (e.g. in-situ tests)
- Experience with the development and implementation of image processing algorithms
- Good mathematical expertise, demonstrated by problem-solving applications
- Sound knowledge in the field of materials science, with publications
- Knowledge of simulation methods (e.g. finite elements)
- Experience in the acquisition and management of R&D projects as well as scientific project management
- Experience in the supervision of junior researchers
- Very good presentation and publication skills, proven by regular publications (especially in peer-reviewed journals) and participation to conferences
- Very good oral and written language skills in German and English
- Good communication and information skills, focused and structured working style, initiative/willingness and ability to work in a team, willingness to cooperate, flexibility as well as conceptual, strategic and innovative conception skills
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface of politics, economics and society
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Flexible working hours and mobile working
We welcome applications via the online application form by 01.10.2022. Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, quoting the reference number 258/22-8.5 to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung (BAM)
Referat Z.3 – Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
Mr Bernd R. Müller will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have. Please get in touch via the telephone number +49 30 8104-1852 and/or by email to Bernd.Mueller@bam.de.
BAM pursues the goal of professional equality between women and men. We therefore particularly welcome applications from women. In addition, BAM supports the integration of severely disabled persons and therefore especially welcomes their applications. With regard to the fulfilment of the job advertisement requirements, the application documents are examined individually. Recognised severely disabled persons will be given preferential consideration if they are equally suitable.
The advertised position requires a low level of physical aptitude.
BAM actively supports the compatibility of work and family and has been certified as a family- and life-phase-conscious employer by the "audit berufundfamilie" since 2015.