Staff Scientist - 97078
The Physics Division (https://www.physics.lbl.gov/) at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) invites applications from scientists with a record of substantial accomplishment and creative ability for a Staff Scientist position in the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) experimental group. The appointment may be either career-track or career, depending on seniority. The career-track Staff Scientist position is a five-year appointment with the expectation of promotion to a career position as Staff Scientist. Applicants should have demonstrated leadership and original achievements in research. We welcome all applicants with exceptional promise to advance the art of experimentation in CMB science; expertise in instrumentation, especially related to the design, construction and operation of microwave telescopes, optics, superconducting detectors, multiplexed readout for them, or related technologies is desirable.
The Staff Scientist is expected to play a leading role in her/his scientific field and will be encouraged to contribute to research that may enable transformational advances or new opportunities in LBNL’s CMB research program and beyond. LBNL has a long tradition of pioneering work developing new detectors, devices, and methods for fundamental physics. LBNL is the lead laboratory of the CMB-S4 project (https://cmb-s4.org/) for the roles and responsibilities of the Department of Energy. CMB-S4 is a next generation experiment with multiple telescopes and 500,000 cryogenic superconducting detectors with the potential to transform the field.
What You Will Do:
- Co-lead CMB-S4 small-aperture telescope efforts of CMB group members, in particular those aligned with LBNL’s project responsibilities, e.g. Cryostat receiver design, prototyping, fabrication, integration and verification; or Co-lead CMB-S4 detector and readout activities, in particular those aligned with LBNL’s project responsibilities;
- Actively organize the LBNL small-aperture telescope team or the detector team, coordinating efforts with the team including LBNL engineers and collaborators outside LBNL;
- Take an active role in the execution and development of the Physics Division research program;
- Actively support LBNL’s IDEA initiative and goals, and participate in outreach efforts.
What is Required:
- Five years of experience in research including two or more years of relevant professional experience beyond the Ph.D. or equivalent in physics or related field at the time of employment;
- Experience working with experimental particle physics/cosmology data;
- Extensive experience writing research papers and giving seminars and conference presentations and summarizing broader areas of physics;
- Published record of excellence in physics research;
- Demonstrated ability in experimental physics research, with a strong record of research accomplishments;
- Ability to work as a team member to accomplish CMB Group research goals.
- Supervisory experience;
- Experience developing and managing scientific software;
- Proficiency in developing and managing scientific software.
How to Apply: Please go to http://220.127.116.11/counter.php?id=241758 to create a profile and submit the requested application materials. Note that applications can only be made via this Academic Jobs Online URL. For inquiries please contact Kelly Rushing (firstname.lastname@example.org). For full consideration all application materials must be submitted by December 1, 2022, but the position will remain open until filled.
Requested application materials:
- Curriculum vitae (CV);
- Publication list;
- Statement describing research interests (3 pages maximum, not including references);
- Statement describing your contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion, as well as your participation in outreach or community engagement activities (1 page maximum);
- Arrange for at least five letters of reference to be submitted via the Academic Jobs Online URL above.
- The career-track Staff Scientist position is a five-year full time appointment with the expectation of promotion to a career position as Staff Scientist based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs;
- The appointment may be either career-track or career, depending on seniority;
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment;
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program, Berkeley Lab strongly recommends that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of Physical Presence at a Berkeley Lab Location, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA,https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.