The European Synchrotron, the ESRF, is an international research centre based in Grenoble, France.
Through its innovative engineering, pioneering scientific vision and a strong commitment from its 700 staff members, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research facilities worldwide. Its particle accelerator produces intense X-ray beams that are used by thousands of scientists each year for experiments in diverse fields such as biology, medicine, environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials science, and physics.
Supported by 21 countries, the ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
ID32 is a world leading soft x-ray spectroscopy beamline equipped with high-resolution/high-precision X-ray optics and diagnostics as well as state-of-the-art experimental stations all operated in ultra-high vacuum conditions. We also provide sample environments ranging from low temperature cryostats to high-field magnets and surface science instrumentation for the many international user groups that perform experiments on ID32.
Under the guidance of the Beamline Responsible, in collaboration with the beamline team and with the help of expert support groups, you will:
- maintain the beamline in optimal working condition;
- install and test beamline components and equipment;
- give technical assistance to the users in the set-up and execution of experiments;
- adapt or create equipment requested by the beamline team and participate in development projects;
- You should hold a technician degree (BSc, Licence, HND, HNC, BTS, DUT, Bachelor, Meister, Vordiplom, Perito, Laurea Triennale, Diplomatura, Ingenieria Técnica or equivalent) in physical science, material science or scientific instrumentation;
- 2 years of professional experience, prior experience with X-ray beamline instrumentation will be an asset;
- Experience in surface science techniques including ultra-high vacuum techniques will be a strong asset;
- Experience in scientific instrumentation and sample environment: precision mechanics, cryogenics, high magnetic fields and electric fields will be a strong asset;
- Experience in technical drawing and its associated software (ideally SOLIDWORKS);
- Ability to machine simple parts and assemble delicate mechanics;
- Ability to work autonomously and possession of strong troubleshooting skills;
- Self-motivated, able to manage your time to conduct several tasks in parallel with fixed deadlines, and to work in a small team;
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF).
Do you recognize yourself in this description? Apply now for your next professional adventure!
What we offer:
- Be inspired by our innovative research institute, with an international workforce from 38 different countries;
- Collaborate with global experts on real-world science;
- Come and live in a vibrant city, in the heart of the Alps, and Europe’s Green Capital 2022;
- Enjoy a workplace designed to support your quality of life;
- Benefit from our competitive compensation and allowances package, including financial support for your relocation to Grenoble.
For further information on employment terms and conditions, please refer to https://www.esrf.fr/home/Jobs/what-we-offer.html.
The ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from disabled persons.