Optical Physicist & Product Development Lead
- Heidi Black HR Ltd
- Oxford, UK
- Closing date
- 1 Dec 2022
Long Hanborough, Oxford
Lead physicist, £45-60K (plus benefits including options)
Be at the leading-edge of cancer screening
You would expect us to say this, but we really are creating a game-changing solution.
We have made significant advances in our core technology that allow us to capture, analyse and report on huge quantities of data from a single urine sample. We are creating the worlds’ first simple to use, low cost, point of care testing solution for early-stage cancer screening.
To put the importance of this into context, the difference between early and late-stage detection can literally ‘flip the odds’ of survival: for bowel cancer, a Stage 4 detection means a 90% probability of you dying, whereas early detection gives you have a 90% survival rate.
Join us to make this a reality, shape the future of life science and be a part of our quest for changing lives, simply.
Sharing our values is very important to us
Our business is built on a simple set of values, values that we try and live by every day both professionally and personally.
Integrity: truth, honesty and trust in everything we do;
Commitment: the ownership, collaboration and self-discipline to get things done;
Courage: to challenge, and grow;
Legacy: how we do what we do every day is our legacy.
Some of the key responsibilities
Working closely with our Founder you will be leading the development of our hardware devices.
Your expertise & skills
We are seeking a physicist with a demonstrable knowledge and understanding of Raman spectroscopy and preferably, some of its variants (SERS, SORS, TERS, etc).
- A deep understanding of atomic, molecular and optical physics, in particular the interaction of light and matter;
- Hands on laboratory experience working with optics, optomechanics and electronics;
- Experience in designing optical systems;
- A deep understanding of the fundamentals and behaviour of lasers, particularly diode lasers (DFB, DBR, VCSEL, etc);
- Several years’ experience working with lasers in a laboratory environment;
- A good command of process control and data acquisition using LabView, Matlab, Python, C++ or similar.
- Experience in the design and construction of grating spectrometers;
- Experience in data analysis and evaluation;
- Numerical modelling skills;
- Previous experience with experiment design and/or product design.
- You are reliable, a strong team player and generally a jolly good person;
- Passionate about physics and how things work;
- Motivated and self-driven while also being collaborative and open-minded;
- You love learning and are comfortable taking on and identifying new problems.
We’re still young and there’s plenty of opportunity to grow with the company as well as influence the direction that the company takes. We think that we offer a competitive benefits package including options.
We would love to see you in the office every day, but we understand that this might not be perfect for you. So, if the role allows, we are happy to offer a hybrid and flexible working pattern.
Hybrid: given where we are in the development of our technology, in a normal week we want you to be in the office for three days a week, with the whole team in on a Wednesday.
Flexible: we know that life throws up challenges and we are all a little different in what part of the day we work best. With this in mind, we are flexible around the working day, but to make sure the team can collaborate effectively, we have ‘core hours’ of 10-3 every day.
Knowing that you will want to learn and develop we have a ‘personal continuing development’ (PCD) fund, which will help you with any learning you want to do. The best bit is that it doesn’t have to be directly related to work - it could be a new language or an art history course. Whatever it is, your PCD fund is there to help.
In addition to all of the above:
- 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays and Christmas shutdown;
- Free coffee, tea and snacks.
and after completing your probation period
- Private Pension contributions, matched up to 6% employer contribution;
- Private Healthcare scheme;
- EMI share option scheme;
- Contribution to home broadband connection.
The recruitment process
- Initial chat to introduce you and Veritie Group (25 mins);
- Technical interview (1.5 hours);
- Face to face Interview with the directors (60 mins).
If you are interested in this role, please send a copy of your CV together with a cover letter to email@example.com.
Heidi is a highly experienced and talented HR professional who places the emphasis on putting people first before processes. Listening to clients to understand their business, Heid offers a comprehensive range of HR support across all sectors.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert