The European Synchrotron, the ESRF, is an international research centre based in Grenoble, France.
Through its innovative engineering, pioneering scientific vision and a strong commitment from its 700 staff members, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research facilities worldwide. Its particle accelerator produces intense X-ray beams that are used by thousands of scientists each year for experiments in diverse fields such as biology, medicine, environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials science, and physics.
Supported by 21 countries, the ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
You will participate in ongoing in-house research programmes, the operation of the beamline, providing support to external users as a local contact, and develop your own research programme, which should exploit the unique capabilities of the ID15B beamline.
ID15B is dedicated to the determination of structural properties of solids at high pressures using diamond anvil cells. A well-equipped sample preparation laboratory, a Raman system and facilities for low and high temperature measurements and for laser annealing are available. The research is focused on crystal structures of many compounds among those polyhydrids and molecular systems, and phase diagram of quantum systems, using angle-dispersive single crystal and powder diffraction with a state of the art area detector. You will be encouraged and supported to develop your own research, which should exploit the exceptional beamline capabilities at extreme conditions.
Further information may be obtained from Michael Hanfland (tel.: +33 (0)4 76 88 26 88, email: firstname.lastname@example.org) and Gaston Garbarino (tel.: +33 (0)4 76 88 19 87, email: email@example.com)
- PhD in chemistry, physics, geophysics, or a closely related field obtained less than 3 years ago;
- You should be a good experimental scientist with experience in X-ray diffraction and high-pressure experiments using diamond anvil cells;
- Experience in crystallography and with synchrotron radiation is desirable;
- Ability to interact with multi-disciplinary staff and facility users;
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF).
Contract of 18 months, renewable for a further 6 to 18-month period.
What we offer:
- Be inspired by our innovative research institute, with an international workforce from 38 different countries;
- Collaborate with global experts on real-world science;
- Come and live in a vibrant city, in the heart of the Alps, and Europe's Green Capital 2022;
- Enjoy a workplace designed to support your quality of life;
- Benefit from our competitive compensation and allowances package, including financial support for your relocation to Grenoble.
For further information on employment terms and conditions, please refer to https://www.esrf.fr/home/Jobs/what-we-offer.html.
The ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from disabled persons.
If you are interested in this position, please apply online at https://www.esrf.fr/Jobs