Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (JGU) is one of the largest universities in Germany. Thanks to its location in the Rhine-Main science region, the university can unfold to its full potential and showcase its innovative power and dynamism. Its status as a comprehensive university allows for multidisciplinary learning and teaching and has great potential for internationally renowned, interdisciplinary research. Almost all of its institutes are located on a single campus close to the Mainz city center – creating a lively academic culture for researchers, teaching staff, and students from every continent.
Detector Laboratory of the Cluster of Excellence PRISMA+ at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz
Electronics Engineer full-time (100 %)
The Cluster of Excellence PRISMA+ at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz addresses fundamental questions about the nature of the building blocks of matter and their importance for the physics of the universe. The PRISMA Detector Laboratory supports the experimental developments within the cluster by realizing detector hardware and electronics, while pursuing new technologies. Focus areas comprise electronics, photon detectors, scintillation detectors as well as TPC and tracking detectors.
The position is in the development of detector electronics. Systems might include analog front-ends and digital blocks, interface circuits, and communication links. Advanced versions feature data stream interfaces and the interconnection of a programmable device (FPGAs) controlling the minor services (slow control, tuning, calibration). Corresponding firmware in VHDL could be part of the project. Typical project outcomes comprehend schematics, electrical simulations and layout of printed circuit boards, finalized with workbench tests and laboratory instrumentation measurements.
Working closely with the other members of the team, you will:
- develop novel electronics for the operation and readout of detectors, data acquisition systems;
- design multi-layer printed circuit boards and coordinate their production and assembly;
- perform electronic and functional tests of the circuit;
- write and organize documentation and datasheets;
- Procurement of technical equipment and ensuring ongoing operations;
- Further development of devices;
- as well as adaptation of purchased devices and components;
- interact with users and external companies.
- Candidates are expected to have a degree (Diplom, Master) in Electronics Engineering (or equivalent) and a very good knowledge in more than one of these topics:
- Electronic Design Automation (EDA) programs and suites (simulation, development, layout);
- Digital electronics, process architecture, bus-system communication , memory interfaces;
- System-on-Chip (SoC) and embedded systems based on Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA);
- Use of laboratory devices for measurement and testing of modules;
- The position requires a good knowledge of English, including technical language. In case of limited knowledge of German, you will have the opportunity to improve your language skills;
- Experience with the development of low-power digital electronics, electronics for physics experiments and with projects in the scope of international collaborations is advantageous.
What we have to offer:
- an independent and varied job with direct applications in cutting-edge research projects. In addition, we offer continuing education opportunities and good career options;
- Jobticket, optional for the entire Rhine-Main area;
- extensive human resources development offer;
- flexible working time arrangements.
The position is paid according to EG 13 TV-L and to be filled as soon as possible. The initial position is temporary, until 31.12.2025.
JGU is diverse and welcomes qualified applications from people with varied backgrounds. Applications from senior candidates are welcome.
We aim to increase the number of women in the technical field and therefore encourage female candidates to apply.
Candidates with severe disabilities and appropriate qualifications will be given priority.
Are you ready for a new challenge and interested in this varied and responsible position? Then submit your complete application [cover letter, resume, references], until November 27th, 2022.
For questions and further information please contact Dr. Andrea Brogna by phone 06131/39-21841 or e- mail: email@example.com.
Data protection information