QinetiQ is growing – and it’s a great time to be here. As we enter new markets around the world, we need talented scientists to join us across the UK. An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Radar and EW Signal processing associate to join our leading Global Defence Technology & Security organisation. You will work within the Applied Sciences unit based at our Malvern site.
You will join the Radar and Electronic Warfare (EW) team which has unrivalled expertise in the UK. Our work covers a wide area, from sensor design and running of demonstrator systems, through algorithm research and development including signal processing and machine learning / deep learning techniques, to customer support activity in all domains. You will have the opportunity to specialise in either Radar or EW, or to work flexibly across both areas.
These activities enable our customers to exploit new technologies, improve sensor and system performance and provide specialist advice to assist in the procurement of new Radar and EW capabilities.
You’ll be part of a business that was named the Most Admired Aerospace & Defence Company in the Britain’s Most Admired Companies 2021 study. You’ll also be joining a diverse, inclusive employer that’s proud to provide a collaborative, open working environment. With our Adaptive approach, you’ll enjoy the work-life balance that suits you best, thanks to remote, hybrid and flexible working practices dependent on the projects involved.
- Apply your expertise and knowledge on a variety of assignments;
- Perform scientific/engineering/technical assignments requiring the integration of a range of skills and knowledge;
- Research customer’s needs and requirements to align outputs;
- Work directly with customers to ensure successful delivery and identify new business;
- Promote innovation, inventiveness and standards of excellence within the delivery and/or capture teams.
Key capabilities and knowledge
Experience with some or all of the following would be desirable:
- Algorithm development using Python or MATLAB or through theoretical development of ideas;
- Radar waveform design and detection, tracking and recognition of targets in Air, Land and Maritime domains;
- System requirements, design solutions, testing and performance of current and future ground-based, maritime or airborne radar systems;
- Design and implementation of passive RF sensing and geolocation techniques (e.g. interferometric direction finding, Time Difference of Arrival);
- Use of C or C++, machine learning, Keras / Tensorflo;
- Electromagnetic environment and its impact on radar and communication systems, Electronic Protection Measures;
- Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR); Space-Time Adaptive Processing (STAP); Moving Target Indication (MTI); Automatic Target Recognition (ATR);
- Understanding of communications systems including RF propagation, modulation schemes (analogue and digital), coding techniques.
Experience and qualifications:
- A degree in Science or Engineering, or an equivalent;
- The successful candidate will be required to undertake and maintain appropriate security clearance. For certain projects this could be at a Developed Vetting (DV) level.
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.