You will join the Radar and Electronic Warfare (EW) group which has unrivalled expertise in the UK, built up over 80 years.
We have exciting roles to offer in a wide range of technology areas. From sensor design and running of demonstrator systems, through algorithm research and development including novel signal processing and machine learning techniques, to customer support.
These activities enable our customers to exploit new technologies, improve sensor and system performance, and procure and test new capabilities. They will allow you to build skills and experience across one or both of the Radar and EW fields.
- Perform technical research and development tasks for a variety of projects;
- Integrate and apply your skills and knowledge on those tasks;
- Work with customers to understand their need and to ensure successful task and project delivery;
- Promote innovation, inventiveness and standards of excellence locally.
Key capabilities and knowledge
Demonstrable experience with some or all of the following:
- Expertise in one or more areas of active and/or passive radio frequency (RF) sensing, particularly in a military context;
- Algorithm development using Python or MATLAB and/or through theoretical development of ideas;
- Use of C or C++, machine learning, Keras / Tensorflow;
- Radar waveform design and/or detection, tracking and recognition of targets in Air, Land or Maritime domains.
Expertise with some or all of the following would be desirable, but not essential:
- Design and implementation of passive RF sensing and geolocation techniques (e.g. interferometric direction finding, Time Difference of Arrival);
- System requirements, design solutions, testing and performance of current and future ground-based, maritime or airborne radar systems;
- The electromagnetic environment and its impact on radar and communication systems, Electronic Protection Measures;
- Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR); Space-Time Adaptive Processing (STAP); Moving Target Indication (MTI); Automatic Target Recognition (ATR);
- Understanding of communications systems including RF propagation, modulation schemes (analogue and digital), coding techniques.
- Good communication skills are required to enable working as part of a team and to support interaction with external customers/ agencies;
- Able/willing to lead or mentor others on well-defined tasks.
Experience and qualifications:
- A degree in Science or Engineering, or an equal, nationally recognised, professional qualification. 3+ years of further on the job experience and growth of key skills;
- On route to obtaining professional membership / chartership of a relevant body or similar accreditation within the next 2 years;
- The successful candidate will be required to undertake and maintain appropriate security clearance. For certain projects this could be at a Developed Vetting (DV) level.
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum.
UKSV National Security Vetting Solution: guidance for applicants - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.