QinetiQ has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Electro-Optical and Infrared Scientist to support the growing EO Physics Team to help develop novel technologies, conduct research and experimentation into the areas of Low Observable materials, sensors and platform performance evaluation.
The successful applicant will be part of a dynamic team in a multidisciplinary research environment comprising of Physicists, Engineers, Material Scientists and Chemists. You will provide high level scientific expertise (both theoretical and practical) and make increasing contributions to the strategic direction of this exciting team and be responsible for the design, execution and delivery of complex and innovative research programmes in the area of EO/IR materials and measurements. The role is based at our site in Farnborough, Hampshire.
You will be a part of the Electro-Optic Physics team within Applied Science and be actively involved in developing bespoke solutions for novel applications across the breadth of QinetiQ’s business. Your responsibilities will include:
- As a Technical Lead, take responsibility for, independently deliver and lead technical tasks relating to novel EO/IR materials and platform measurements in line with contracted activity;
- As Trials Lead, undertake trials planning and execution to meet the customer and safety requirements;
- Integrate understanding of EO/IR sensor systems to formulate models, undertake simulations and provide performance assessments;
- Prepare, design and participate in the setup of accurate EO radiometry;
- Author and provide advice and consultancy for internal and external technical programmes and bids;
- Be accountable for managing your own time and technical progress in order to meet agreed goals and deadlines.
Requirements & Essential Qualifications
- A PhD or other higher degree in Physics or relevant scientific discipline;
- Recognised expert in their field;
- Minimum five years’ experience in either a relevant industrial or academic position;
- Problem-solving and innovative mindset;
- Excellent understanding of EO physics, modelling, simulation and EO sensor design;
- Experience of EO research programmes involving modelling and materials testing;
- Good interpersonal, influencing and team working skills;
- Good planning, organisation and coordinating abilities;
- Customer facing skills: good listening and questioning skills to fully understand customers’ requirements and problems;
- Experience of writing technical proposals, reports or papers and of technical communication.
- Understanding of EO threat space and EO weapon systems;
- Experience of undertaking technical assessments of Active Protection Systems, including laboratory testing and field trials of detection and countermeasure sub-systems;
- Experience of ISTAR;
- Experience undertaking EO/IR sensor systems performance assessments;
- Expert user of first-principles modelling and simulation tools, including CameoSim, NV-IPM and MODTRAN;
- Demonstrable experience developing bespoke modelling tools for novel sensors and applications;
- Demonstrable experience interacting with frontline commands and End Users;
- Experience of Matlab, MathCAD or similar for producing technical data.
You will be a sole UK nationall.
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum.
UKSV National Security Vetting Solution: guidance for applicants - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.