To strengthen our team in the division "Thermochemical Residues Treatment and Resource Recovery" in Berlin-Adlershof, starting as soon as possible, we are looking for a
PhD student (m/f/d) in the field of "laser-induced plasma spectroscopy (LIBS)"
Salary group 13 TVöD
Temporary contract for 36 months
65 % of the standard working time
The Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM) is a materials research organization in Germany. Our mission is to ensure safety in technology and chemistry. We perform research and testing in materials science, materials engineering and chemistry to improve the safety of products and processes. At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences.
We are looking for talented people to join us.
BAM operates two LIBS (laser-induced plasma spectroscopy) prototypes to determine element contents in high-temperature melts of more than 2000°C. An on-line LIBS device is connected to a technical-scale electric arc furnace, which is used to investigate various pyrometallurgical recycling processes. The implementation of an industrially applicable LIBS technology implies the constant process monitoring and control over the composition of a melt. The latter is done through either a preliminary "cold" or "hot" method calibration or through an instantaneous, during the process, calibration-free (CF) LIBS analysis. A high potential for the further development of the system is expected through the application of advanced chemometrics that includes various multivariate calibration methods. Through a close cooperation between the members of an interdisciplinary project team at BAM, a breakthrough in the development of an industrially applicable on-line LIBS system is expected. The methods of cold and hot calibration are to be optimized and comparatively evaluated. However, the most important goal is to develop a calibration-free LIBS method (CF-LIBS) for the on-line process monitoring.
Your responsibilities include:
- Development and optimization of cold and hot calibration methods for on-line LIBS measurements in high-temperature melts;
- Investigation of calibration-free LIBS methods (CF LIBS);
- Application of the developed LIBS methods to investigations of pyrometallurgical processes;
- Publication of the results in scientific journals;
- Dissemination of results at workshops and conferences.
- Successfully completed scientific university studies (master's) in the field of chemistry, physics or comparable fields;
- Very good knowledge of spectroscopic methods;
- Knowledge in the field of LIBS analytics;
- Affinity to programming on, e.g. Mathlab or Python;
- Very good written and oral English skills;
- Good skills in scientific writing and presenting in front of an audience;
- Good communication and information skills, goal-oriented and structured way of working, initiative/commitment and ability to work in a team and cooperate as well conceptual, strategic and innovative thinking skills.
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface of politics, economics and society;
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies;
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure;
- Comprehensive external and in-house training opportunities;
- Flexible working hours and mobile working.
We welcome applications via the online application form by 04.12.2022. Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, quoting the reference number 330/22-4.4 to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung
Referat Z.3 – Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
Dr. Christian Adam will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have. Please get in touch via the telephone number +49 30 8104-5670 and/or by email to Christian.Adam@bam.de.
BAM pursues the goal of professional equality between women and men. We therefore particularly welcome applications from women. In addition, BAM supports the integration of severely disabled persons and therefore especially welcomes their applications. With regard to the fulfilment of the job advertisement requirements, the application documents are examined individually. Recognised severely disabled persons will be given preferential consideration if they are equally suitable.
The advertised position requires a low level of physical aptitude.
BAM actively supports the compatibility of work and family and has been certified as a family- and life-phase-conscious employer by the "audit berufundfamilie" since 2015.