IOP Publishing is currently recruiting for motivated Community Publishers to join our Publishing team on a permanent basis. If you desire to work with the science community in a diverse and international environment, then look no further!
You will be reporting to the Senior Publisher who will be able to offer coaching and support your growth at IOP Publishing.
IOP Publishing is committed to furthering open science in the physical sciences and has the goal to instil a more inclusive publishing experience for the research community. The Community Publishers are key to making this happen and responsible for implementing the journal development strategies and delivering associated KPIs, by devising and implementing a programme of community-driven content commissioning activities primarily through desk-based guest editor and author interactions. They are also responsible for engaging and managing Editorial Board members. The Publisher may deputise for the Senior Publisher as appropriate.
What will you be doing?
Key job accountabilities include:
- The Community Publisher will work with the Senior Publisher to shape and implement the portfolio and journal strategies
- Develop Editorial Board succession plans to continually diversify and refresh the Editorial Board membership
- Develop and review commissioning plans in line with journal growth targets and authorship goals, and effectively communicate plans to other colleagues working on the journals
- Target strategically important subject areas in line with subject field analysis and journal strategy
- Recruit and onboard special issue Guest Editors with the necessary training, and maintain regular communication with them throughout the process
- Accountability for the end-to-end publication of each special issue
- Collaborate with Publisher colleagues on related titles to develop cross-journal special issue initiatives
- Collaborate with various teams to identify opportunities to improve the special issue commissioning workflow and approach
Successful applicants should demonstrate the following:
- Physical or life science discipline degree or equivalent professional experience desirable STM publishing experience Excellent communication skills Collaborative approach to working with peers
To apply, please submit your CV and cover note through our careers site.
We aim to review applications soon after they are received, and will arrange interviews when there’s someone we’re keen to meet, so please don’t hold off applying until the closing date is approaching - we don’t want you, or us, to miss out!
IOP Publishing is an international scientific publisher, through which leading-edge research is distributed worldwide. Our rapidly expanding journals programme is published alongside other sources of scientific information in the form of ebooks, magazines and conference proceedings. Other publications include easily accessible community and regional websites. We are a world leader in the development of electronic publishing for the scientific community and have offices in Europe, Asia and the US. Working in the interests of science and scientists, we aim to maximise the impact of the research we publish.
IOP Publishing is central to the Institute of Physics, a not-for-profit society. Any financial surplus earned by IOP Publishing goes to supporting science through the activities of the Institute. With a continuing focus on growth, we recognise that every single person has a real part to play if we’re to achieve our aim of becoming the world’s leading publisher in our field.
IOP Publishing is an equal opportunity employer. Our goal is to ensure that diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are built into our identity in a way that is natural and sustainable, visible through the work we produce, our company branding, our professional networks and the communities we serve and support, which includes our employees, talent communities and candidates. We particularly welcome applicants from under-represented backgrounds.
Vision Our vision is that diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are built into our identity in a way that is both natural and sustainable and that is visible through the work we produce, our Ways of Being, our company branding, our professional networks and the colleagues and communities we serve and support.