An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Theoretical Physicist/Applied Mathematician with a focus on the RF/microwave bands of the EM spectrum, to join a leading Global Defence Technology & Security organisation. You will work within the Applied Sciences business unit based in Farnborough, Hampshire.
You will be a part of the RF Physics team (Signatures and Comms) within the Electromagnetics & Acoustics Group and, through your experience of modelling and wave propagation, will be actively involved in delivering the design of stealth materials. The role is ideally suited to an EM physicist with experience in numerical and analytical modelling techniques.
The responsibilities will include:
- Delivery of high quality analytical and numerical data analysis and interpretation to project leads/Customers;
- Support to the project managers to deliver the schedule on of time and within budget;
- Providing advice and guidance to the Integrated Delivery Teams (IDTs) on all aspects of theoretical and numerical modelling of materials, measurements and energy propagation.
Requirements & Essential Qualifications
- Appropriate technical or scientific qualifications, for example PhD or similar;
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in the design of one or more of the following: metamaterials, antennas, stealth materials;
- Good analytical skills, particularly in the analysis of factual and qualitative information in complicated or novel situations;
- Ability to apply theoretical principles and concepts to a range of projects; resolve problems by identifying and selecting solutions based on experience and precedents;
- Experience of writing technical reports or papers and technical communication;
- Demonstrable expertise in the domain of electromagnetics relating to RF control and propagation, such as RF transmission, reflection and absorption optimisation;
- Experience in Finite Element Analysis for RF electromagnetic concepts.
Successful applicants will need a security clearance which will be applied for when a job offer is accepted.
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum.
UKSV National Security Vetting Solution: guidance for applicants - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.