An exciting opportunity has arisen to lead the development of new optical based products within QinetiQ. The role is for an Optical Engineering Manager to join a leading Global Defence Technology & Security organisation. You will work within the Physical Sciences discipline based at their site in Malvern, Worcestershire, and you will lead a team developing new laser based sensor and communications products. Taking an existing portfolio of R&D projects and concepts, you will lead the development of a technology roadmap to develop these technologies into successful products. You will work closely with customers, business development professionals, and lead a multi-disciplinary teams developing and delivering a roadmap and project portfolio.
You will lead the Laser and Optics Sensors team within the Physical Sciences discipline working in the UK Intelligence sector. Through your experience of the design, development and implementation of optical systems, you will be actively involved in developing laser-based sensors for use in QinetiQ products, research projects and development of bespoke solutions for novel applications across the breadth of QinetiQ’s business.
- Lead the delivery of product, development and research programmes;
- Lead and manage a roadmap for key optical product offerings;
- Identify and develop business opportunities with the team and independently;
- Develop programmes of work (plan effort and materials requirements and identify dependencies) and work with project managers to convert to costed project plans;
- Write technical content of proposals/bids/white papers;
- Challenge, mentor and grow team members from multiple disciplines;
- Lead customer demonstrations and presentations;
- Show strong initiative, self-motivation and be able to work as part of and lead a team of scientists and engineers;
- Accountable for time and technical progress.
Requirements & Essential Qualifications
Typically the candidate will have a good science or engineering degree and must have a strong understanding of:
- New product development and introduction;
- Technology roadmap development;
- Practical delivery of products/projects through the system engineering lifecycle.
The candidate must have a strong understanding and practical experience of:
- Bidding for projects with scientific and technical customers;
- Technical team leadership.
The candidate would benefit from prior knowledge or experience of one or more of the following:
- Optical and laser based remote sensing;
- An optical detection technique (e.g. direct detection, coherent detection, photon counting);
- An understanding of physical and engineering principles as they relate to optical comms (free-space and in-fibre);
- Familiarity with LIDAR;
- Designing and building telecoms component-based fibre optics systems;
- Designing and building bulk-optics systems;
- Implementing different active optical remote sensing modalities (e.g. rangefinding, 3D imaging, velocimetry, vibrometry, anemometry, DIAL, comms, retro-comms);
- Scanning techniques for imaging applications.
The candidate will be competent in:
- Software implementation for control, acquisition, processing and visualisation tasks (preferred languages Python, Matlab, LabVIEW, C, C++);
- Basic analogue and digital electronics.
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum.
UKSV National Security Vetting Solution: guidance for applicants - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.