Who Are We?
We are a world-class team of professionals who deliver next generation technology and products in robotic and autonomous platforms, ground, soldier, and maritime systems in 50+ locations world-wide. Much of our work contributes to innovative research in the fields of sensor science, signal processing, data fusion, artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), and augmented reality (AR).
QinetiQ Inc.’s dedicated experts in defense, aerospace, security, and related fields all work together to explore new ways of protecting the American Warfighter, Security Forces, and Allies. Being a part of QinetiQ Inc. means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend.
Why Join QinetiQ Inc.?
If you have the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges, then you will experience a unique working environment where innovative teams blend different perspectives, disciplines, and technologies to discover new ways of solving complex problems. In our diverse and inclusive environment, you can be authentic, feel valued, be respected, and realize your full potential. QinetiQ Inc. will support you with workplace flexibility, a commitment to the health and well-being of you and your family and provide opportunities to work with a purpose. We are committed to supporting your success in both your professional and personal lives.
QinetiQ, Inc. is seeking an experienced Spectral Scientist to support work at our Fort Belvoir, VA location. The selected candidate will support the development of spectral data processing and detection techniques, conduct spectroscopic data measurements, and support field experimentation.
Your Contribution to the Mission:
- Develop and implement spectral data processing and detection techniques;
- Perform signature collection using spectral instrumentation;
- Perform signature analysis of target and background signatures;
- Collaborate on test plan development.
Field support to include:
- Packing equipment;
- Sensor integration;
- Sensor operation;
- In-field data analysis to ensure adequate data quality.
Generate final technical reports to include:
- Post-Processed data cubes using hyperspectral imaging algorithms and developmental detection algorithms;
- Performance analysis of developmental detection algorithms;
- Present reports and briefings to government team members and senior leaders.
To Land this Job, You’ll Need:
- A Bachelor’s or higher degree in physics, electrical engineering, optical engineering, or similar field of study - M.S. or higher degree preferred;
- 10-15 years minimum of applied spectral experience (experiment design, data acquisition, algorithm development, data analysis, etc.);
- Software experience in algorithm development environments – ENVI/IDL, Python, MATLAB, or similar programming languages.
Experience in the following:
- Multi/hyperspectral imaging processing techniques;
- Radiometric calibration techniques;
- Atmospheric correction techniques;
- HSI target detection techniques (such as Adaptive-Cosine Estimator (ACE), Principle Components, Spectral Angle Mapping (SAM), etc.).
Spectral signature analysis techniques:
- In-scene detection of a target – Create a region of interest (ROI) of part of the scene, extract the signature, locate similar targets in the scene;
- Band selection – Analyze target and background signatures to determine which bands are most optimal for designing a system.
- Field data collection experience;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Minimum Active DOD Secret Clearance is required.
No One Has Time for Long Job Applications!
We completely understand, that is why we have made the application process easy. We promise. This will be simple.
If because of a medical condition or disability you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to staffing@us.QinetiQ.com or call (540) 658-2720 Opt. 4 and let us know the nature of your request and contact information.
QinetiQ Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All Qualified Applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.