Senior Mathematical Modeller
- Defence Science and Technology Laboratory
- Salisbury, UK
- Closing date
- 23 Mar 2023
We are the science inside UK Defence and Security.
Since Dstl was formed in 2001, our talented scientists and technologists have built an enviable reputation for innovating world class science and technology. We are able to deploy our inside knowledge and understanding of government to interpret and connect requirements and stakeholders. We bring together lots of different people and a huge range of disciplines in science and technology. We have lots of variety in our projects, roles and opportunities, making every day a day to explore and get excited.
The Chemical, Biological and Radiological Division (CBR) of Dstl provides an integrated Chemistry, Biology, Radiation, Human & Medical Sciences capability, delivering long term research, short term advice and consultancy, and an emergency response capability in support of UK Defence and Security
As part of the Outdoor Modelling Team you will provide Chemical and Biological hazard assessment advice on the potential impact of a release of toxic material into the atmosphere through the use of mathematical models. The team’s expertise supports operations and emergency response as well as informing existing and future government policy.
The work we do is at the forefront of defence and security research, which is a dynamic and rapidly evolving environment. Quite simply we believe this is work you cannot do anywhere else.
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
We particularly welcome female and ethnic minority applicants and those from the LGBTQI community, as they are under-represented within Dstl at these levels.
In this role you will:
- Provide support and lead on projects within the team by using logical thinking and problem solving skills;
- Present project work to technical leaders in the most appropriate format (discussions, spreadsheets, databases, reports, email);
- Deliver operational analysis at pace utilising modelling and experts to ensure robust evidence;
- Provide a scientific contribution to customer deliverables in the form of reports and presentations;
- Support the objectives of the team by contributing to capability building and wider activities across Dstl;
- Provide senior technical leaders with support in maintaining, developing and using the group’s models, recommending improvements to models and processes where appropriate;
- Build up expert knowledge in a number of technical areas and network both within your capability area and across capability boundaries;
- Communicate complex mathematical modelling ideas to various audiences.
We are looking for someone who :
- Has the desire to apply their technical understanding to solve problems which are unfamiliar to them;
- Has a good background in using mathematical models to solve complex problems;
- Thrives in a fast paced delivery environment;
- Has strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Has the ability to lead and inspire others;
- Is motivated to learn new skills and help develop others.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in mathematics, physics, chemistry, quantitative science or a related engineering discipline
- Experience of mathematical modelling;
- Experience of using a programming language such as R, Python and MATLAB;
- Experience of working in a team and working independently, as you will be required to undertake analysis independently and still work effectively in a scientific team;
- Experience in using Microsoft Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) for data analysis, technical reports and presentations.
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be UK Nationals who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to undertake the projects we are involved in to protect us from security threats. For this reason, only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Delivering at Pace;
- Seeing the Big Picture;
- Developing Self and Others;
- Working Together;
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Please explain why are you interested in working with Dstl and what would you bring to this particular role, focusing on your skills and experience relevant in mathematical modelling;
- Please detail your knowledge and experience of using programming languages to develop and explore outputs of mathematical modelling.
Dstl’s full range of great benefits can be found in the information pack which includes:
- Financial: An excellent pension scheme starting from 26% employer contribution (find out more here). In Year Rewarding Achievement bonuses and thank you vouchers. Rental deposit scheme and cycle to work scheme.
- Flexible working: Full flexibility working options include alternative working patterns, compressed hours, job shares and annualised hours. Remote working may be available dependent on role.
- Flexible working hours: Ability to bank hours in a 12 month reference period including the ability to accrue and use 3 days per calendar month.
- Annual leave: 25 days pro rata (rising to 30 after 5 years) plus 8 public holidays with the ability to buy/sell 5 additional days per annum.
- Family: Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks with full pay, an additional 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid
- Learning and Development: Dstl encourages and supports charterships, accreditations and provides employees access to fully funded apprenticeships up to level 7 (Masters Degree). Dstl will pay for 2 memberships with relevant bodies/institutions. Employees also have access to Civil Service Learning.
- Facilities: Onsite parking, EV Charging points, restaurants, cafés and gyms.
The information pack can be found attached to the job specification on Civil Service Jobs.
Our Diversity Networks
We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work. These include the following:
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network;
- Race, Faith and Culture Network;
- Parents and Carer Support Network;
- Alternative Working Network;
- Gender Equality Network;
- New Starters Network;
- Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities.
Things you need to know
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
The sift will be completed by 16th January 2023 with interviews taking place in early February 2023.
We want you to have your best chance of success in our recruitment process, so If at any stage of the application process you would like help or assistance please contact the Dstl Recruitment Team firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do all we can to support you.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
The Civil Service also offers a Redeployment Interview Scheme to civil servants who are at risk of redundancy, and who meet the minimum requirements for the advertised vacancy.
Apply and further information
This vacancy is part of the Great Place to Work for Veterans initiative.
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
Name: Dstl Recruitment Team
Should you wish to raise a formal complaint about the Dstl recruitment process you should email email@example.com stating the nature of the issue. We will respond within 5 working days.
The Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) is the science and technology arm of the Ministry of Defence. As part of the UK Government we do sensitive and specialist work that cannot be done anywhere else. We’re dedicated to keeping the UK safe and secure by using world-leading science and technology. Our work has one aim – protecting lives. Our experts make innovative scientific advancements, sometimes with international impact.
Why work for us
At Dstl, we bring together the best people with the best ideas and apply science and technology in unexpected ways. Our position in defence brings strong links to the armed forces, giving us access and insight to our military personnel and their operational challenges. The solutions we deliver cover everything from long-term research and analysis, through to rapid development in support of current operations with the potential to save lives. Working with other government departments, universities and businesses, we develop battle-winning technologies that support UK military operations – now and into the future.
At Dstl, you’ll find a workforce of respected scientists and professionals who specialize in many different disciplines. We value and champion collaboration, impact and innovation, and we work with some of the most talented professionals and academics in the world. To achieve our goals, we promote and support the use of flexible working patterns to enable staff to enjoy a healthy work/life balance.
We’re always looking for the best technical and scientific minds who are looking for a career with a difference. You’ll need a relevant qualification, a flair for solving problems and a passion for new technologies. Above all, you must want to make a difference now and in the future.
Training and development
We offer an extensive range of technical and professional training that’s relevant for your career and your future ambitions, delivered both in-house and externally. We’ll support you with Chartership and accreditation, and fund up to two professional memberships for you each year.
What we are looking for
Launch your career at Dstl as a:
- Graduate: if you join Dstl as a graduate you will put theory into practise, applying what you’ve learnt to the real-world problems that we’re solving right now. You will be contributing to important projects and supported by mentors and leading scientists.
- Student: we have 12- or three-month internships available to experience what a career in science means.
- Apprentice: we offer apprenticeships, up to degree level, giving you the chance to earn while you learn.
We have a variety of roles advertised on our website all year round as well as graduate and apprenticeship opportunities.
UK; Porton Down (Salisbury, Wiltshire), Portsdown West (Fareham, Hampshire)
Number of employees
Positions recently recruited for
Graduate engineer, graduate scientist, graduate statistician, graduate operational researcher and analyst, graduate project manager, analysts, scientist, engineer, cyber, software
Desired degree disciplines/class
A STEM degree
UK national and eligibility to work in the UK (for security clearance purposes)
How to apply
Apply online at www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk and search for Dstl
All year round. Graduate and apprenticeships recruitment every autumn/winter
Tel +44 (0)1980 950000
- +44 (0)1980 618484
Room G01 Building
5 Porton Down
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert