Senior Optical Scientist/Engineer
- Malvern, UK
- Closing date
- 24 Mar 2023
An exciting opportunity has arisen to contribute to the design and development of a portfolio of optical sensing products. The role is for a senior Optical Sensing Scientist/Engineer to join a leading Global Defence Technology & Security organisation. You will work within the Physical Sciences discipline based at their site in Malvern, Worcestershire. You will specialise in optical sensor integration with control systems and directors.
- You will be a part of the Laser and Optics Sensors team within the Physical Sciences discipline and, through your experience of the design and implementation of optical systems will be actively involved in developing sensors for use in QinetiQ products, research projects and development of bespoke solutions for novel applications across the breadth of QinetiQ’s business;
- Assist in delivery of product, development and research programmes, in particular focus on the integration of optical components with directors, control of the director system and tracking;
- Identify and develop business opportunities with the team and independently;
- Develop programmes of work (plan effort and materials requirements and identify dependencies) and work with project managers to convert to costed project plans;
- Write technical content of proposals/bids/white papers;
- Lead customer demonstrations, presentations, and troubleshooting activities some of which may be overseas;
- Show strong initiative, self-motivation and be able to work as part of and, ultimately, lead a team of scientists and engineers;
- Accountable for time and technical progress. Managing and leading self, providing regular communication of current and future workload.
Requirements & Essential Qualifications
Typically the candidate will have a good engineering or physics degree and must have a strong understanding of:
- Control systems;
- Director pan and tilt systems;
- Remote sensing;
- Signal processing (Fourier decomposition, filtering, time and frequency domain processing schemes, modulation/demodulation schemes).
The candidate must have a strong understanding and practical experience of:
- Bidding for projects with scientific and technical customers.
The candidate would benefit from prior knowledge or experience of one or more of the following:
- An optical detection technique (e.g. direct detection, coherent detection, photon counting);
- An understanding of physical and engineering principles as they relate to optical comms (free-space and in-fibre);
- Familiarity with LIDAR;
- Scanning techniques for imaging applications.
The candidate will have an understanding and appreciation of:
- Software implementation for control, acquisition, processing and visualisation tasks (preferred languages Python, Matlab, LabVIEW, C, C++);
- Basic analogue and digital electronics.
If successful, you will be put through appropriate UK Government security clearances.
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum.UKSV National Security Vetting Solution: guidance for applicants - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).
How to Apply
If you are interested in this opportunity and meet the criteria, apply online today to be considered for an interview!
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.
QinetiQ is a company of scientists and engineers committed to listening, understanding and responding to our customers’ needs. This enables us to use our depth of experience, and our unique science and engineering expertise, to equip customers with powerful solutions to their most pressing challenges.
Why work for us
We understand that people want diversity from a career, so we’ve created a flexible working environment, where we offer opportunities to work on different projects and give people the freedom to innovate and try new things. Our peoples’ depth of expertise and their passion for defence and security makes the critical difference for our customers. We constantly encourage staff to think and do things differently, to always look for enterprising, agile ways to create real benefit. Collaborating with and learning from our world-renowned experts makes QinetiQ an exceptionally rewarding place to work; where no two days are the same.
Training and development
We encourage our people to challenge themselves, realize their full potential and to be proud to deliver outstanding performance for our customers. The QinetiQ Academy provides opportunities for further growth, and everyone are encouraged to develop technical skills and complete professional training.
Our two-year Graduate Development Programme gives graduates access to more than 250 rotational placements, unique facilities and a strong support network to help develop their career.
What we are looking for
We’re looking for outstanding technical people, creative and analytical thinkers, decision makers, influencers and excellent communicators. Working at QinetiQ is more than just a job – we’re making a difference in addressing some of society’s biggest technical challenges. Our purpose is to “save lives, protect sovereign interests, deliver where others can’t”. This is why we exist and the reason why we all get out of bed in the morning.
Number of employees
Positions recently recruited for
Physicists, optical scientists, systems engineers, software engineers, combat systems engineers, mission systems engineers, business analysts, project managers, data scientists, big data, dev ops, network, communications, training, synthetic environments and simulation engineers, cyber intelligence, cryptosecurity
Desired degree disciplines/class
Science degree or equivalent
Eligible to work in the UK or one of QinetiQ’s global businesses
How to apply
All year round
- +44 (0)1252 392000
Cody Technology Park
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert