Senior Electro-Optical Scientist
- Farnborough, UK
- Closing date
- 24 Mar 2023
- Defence & aerospace, Optics, lasers & photonics
- Job type
- Industry & business
Senior Electro Optical Scientist
QinetiQ has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Electro-Optical and Infrared Scientist to support the growing EO Physics Team to help develop novel technologies, conduct research and experimentation into the areas of Low Observable materials, sensors and platform performance evaluation.
The successful applicant will be part of a dynamic team in a multidisciplinary research environment comprising of Physicists, Engineers, Material Scientists and Chemists. You will provide high level scientific expertise (both theoretical and practical) and make increasing contributions to the strategic direction of this exciting team and be responsible for the design, execution and delivery of complex and innovative research programmes in the area of EO/IR materials and measurements. The role is based at our site in Farnborough, Hampshire.
You will be a part of the Electro-Optic Physics team within Applied Science and be actively involved in developing bespoke solutions for novel applications across the breadth of QinetiQ’s business. Your responsibilities will include:
- As a Technical Lead, take responsibility for, independently deliver and lead technical tasks relating to novel EO/IR materials and platform measurements in line with contracted activity;
- As Trials Lead, undertake trials planning and execution to meet the customer and safety requirements;
- Integrate understanding of EO/IR sensor systems to formulate models, undertake simulations and provide performance assessments;
- Prepare, design and participate in the setup of accurate EO radiometry;
- Author and provide advice and consultancy for internal and external technical programmes and bids;
- Be accountable for managing your own time and technical progress in order to meet agreed goals and deadlines.
Requirements & Essential Qualifications
- A PhD or other higher degree in Physics or relevant scientific discipline;
- Recognised expert in their field;
- Minimum five years’ experience in either a relevant industrial or academic position;
- Problem-solving and innovative mindset;
- Excellent understanding of EO physics, modelling, simulation and EO sensor design;
- Experience of EO research programmes involving modelling and materials testing;
- Good interpersonal, influencing and team working skills;
- Good planning, organisation and coordinating abilities;
- Customer facing skills: good listening and questioning skills to fully understand customers’ requirements and problems;
- Experience of writing technical proposals, reports or papers and of technical communication.
- Understanding of EO threat space and EO weapon systems;
- Experience of undertaking technical assessments of Active Protection Systems, including laboratory testing and field trials of detection and countermeasure sub-systems;
- Experience of ISTAR;
- Experience undertaking EO/IR sensor systems performance assessments;
- Expert user of first-principles modelling and simulation tools, including CameoSim, NV-IPM and MODTRAN;
- Demonstrable experience developing bespoke modelling tools for novel sensors and applications;
- Demonstrable experience interacting with frontline commands and End Users;
- Experience of Matlab, MathCAD or similar for producing technical data.
You will be a sole UK national.
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum.
UKSV National Security Vetting Solution: guidance for applicants - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.
QinetiQ is a company of scientists and engineers committed to listening, understanding and responding to our customers’ needs. This enables us to use our depth of experience, and our unique science and engineering expertise, to equip customers with powerful solutions to their most pressing challenges.
Why work for us
We understand that people want diversity from a career, so we’ve created a flexible working environment, where we offer opportunities to work on different projects and give people the freedom to innovate and try new things. Our peoples’ depth of expertise and their passion for defence and security makes the critical difference for our customers. We constantly encourage staff to think and do things differently, to always look for enterprising, agile ways to create real benefit. Collaborating with and learning from our world-renowned experts makes QinetiQ an exceptionally rewarding place to work; where no two days are the same.
Training and development
We encourage our people to challenge themselves, realize their full potential and to be proud to deliver outstanding performance for our customers. The QinetiQ Academy provides opportunities for further growth, and everyone are encouraged to develop technical skills and complete professional training.
Our two-year Graduate Development Programme gives graduates access to more than 250 rotational placements, unique facilities and a strong support network to help develop their career.
What we are looking for
We’re looking for outstanding technical people, creative and analytical thinkers, decision makers, influencers and excellent communicators. Working at QinetiQ is more than just a job – we’re making a difference in addressing some of society’s biggest technical challenges. Our purpose is to “save lives, protect sovereign interests, deliver where others can’t”. This is why we exist and the reason why we all get out of bed in the morning.
Number of employees
Positions recently recruited for
Physicists, optical scientists, systems engineers, software engineers, combat systems engineers, mission systems engineers, business analysts, project managers, data scientists, big data, dev ops, network, communications, training, synthetic environments and simulation engineers, cyber intelligence, cryptosecurity
Desired degree disciplines/class
Science degree or equivalent
Eligible to work in the UK or one of QinetiQ’s global businesses
How to apply
All year round
- +44 (0)1252 392000
Cody Technology Park
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert