- BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- Guildford, UK
- Closing date
- 26 Mar 2023
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence works with governments and businesses around the world to help them defend against cyber threats, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation and transform their operations.
The Wireless Products group works with customers to develop innovative mission critical technology. Applications include software radios, space technology and underwater systems.
We are looking for bright, enthusiastic and committed individuals to work as Firmware Engineers in one of our customer-facing product teams. Relevant industry experience is preferable but most of all we are looking for bright, enthusiastic and committed individuals with a strong academic background and the ability to learn quickly.
We have a range of roles available, from graduate entry through to experienced developers. We are interested in hearing from anyone who can make a strong contribution to our work.
What you will be doing (role duties and responsibilities)
Depending on your project assignment and level of experience, you may work on some or all of the following:
- Design and develop state-of-the-art FPGA designs for one of our software defined radio (SDR) solutions.
- Design and test Digital Signal Processing (DSP) algorithms using MATLAB or similar
- Managing technical tasks/projects and people
- Be involved in customer-facing delivery, sometimes to challenging deadlines.
- Customer-facing technical consultancy
- Have a strong interest in expanding technical knowledge both in areas of core expertise and more generally.
- Work towards gaining the experience required to take technical lead roles.
- Mentoring and coaching junior colleagues
What we are looking for (skills and experience)
We are looking for ambitious, high-calibre people with the following characteristics:
- Highly motivated with a strong academic background typically in Engineering, Physics or Mathematics with a 2:1 or 1st class degree. A Levels typically AA in Maths and Physics. PhD applicants also encouraged.
- Proven problem-solving skills
- Broad interest in wireless technology, embedded systems and awareness of latest industry developments.
- Ability to multi-task and stay organised in a dynamic work environment
- Excellent team working abilities
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to produce high-quality FPGA designs
- Understanding of FPGA and SoC architectures
- 1+ year experience of FPGA development (eg VHDL).
- Understanding of radio communications
- Understanding of digital signal processing
- Development on Linux based systems
- Range of software development experience including MATLAB, C++, Python
- Understanding of digital and/or analogue hardware design with some hands-on laboratory experience of debug/set-to-work.
Successful candidates for this role will be required to go through UK Government security clearance prior to starting with us.
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4500 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
Why work for us
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence plays a significant role in keeping our country safe and it is something that we’re extremely proud of. We’re a team who enjoy making "things" and understanding how technology works. We are a diverse group of experts who are working at the forefront of technology, exploring how we can solve some unique challenges in support of our customers and their critically important National Security work.
Training and development
We offer a blend of professional and technical training and learning on the job, while being supported by the very best in the industry to make sure you hit the ground running. We empower you to take responsibility, with the ability to work on cutting edge, industry-leading technology projects, where you make a real difference. All of this is designed to complement your career development, fuel your ambition, and give depth to your training and career. While your career is your own, you will be encouraged and supported to attain industry-recognized qualifications.
We run three graduate programmes: engineering, project management and consulting. Our engineering programmes require a 2.2 degree (some require 2.1) in a relevant tech/cyber or STEM subject. The project management and consulting programmes require a 2.2 degree from any discipline. The graduate programmes are designed to give you ownership of your career aspirations, supported by training and practical experience to help you succeed. Initially, you will be part of our future talent community and be assigned a career manager, who will support and guide you throughout your career with us. All of this is designed to complement your career development, fuel your ambition, and give depth to your training and career.
What we are looking for
We’re looking for people who are hungry for a technical challenge, want a noble and rewarding mission, enjoy making things or understanding how technology works, who want to develop their skills and enjoy solving complex problems. In particular, we’re looking for:
- Graduates typically in the fields of cyber/tech/computer science, electrical and electronic engineering, physics, mathematics (we also offer consultancy graduate programmes, which are open to any discipline)
- Software developers/engineers, electronic engineers, DSP engineers, FPGA developers, front-end developers, consultants etc.
WATCH OUR VIDEO (click on image)
Our clients span multiple technologies, platforms and media across the globe. With office locations around the world – there's probably an office near you
Number of employees
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4500
Positions recently recruited for
Software engineers/developers, electronic and electrical engineers, roles in digital signal processing FPGA, computer vision scientist. We are looking to significantly expand our wireless and cross-domain capabilities. Roles recently fulfilled are our "wireless product engineer (physics, maths, compsci and EEE)" and "engineering and physics" graduate roles
Desired degree disciplines/class
The majority of our graduate programmes will accept a degree grade of 2.2 in a relevant tech/cyber or STEM subject. Also some roles require 2.1 in physics, mathematics, computer science, electronic and electrical engineers or 2+ years industry experience as one of digital signal processing FPGA developer, software developer, front-end developer or electronic engineer
Eligible to work in the UK
How to apply
All year round
Tel +44 (0)3301585268
- +44 (0) 3301585268
170 Priestley Road
Surrey Research Park
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert