BioSAXS Beamline Scientist for the Structural Biology Group
The European Synchrotron, the ESRF, is an international research centre based in Grenoble, France.
Through its innovative engineering, pioneering scientific vision and a strong commitment from its 700 staff members, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research facilities worldwide. Its particle accelerator produces intense X-ray beams that are used by thousands of scientists each year for experiments in diverse fields such as biology, medicine, environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials science, and physics.
Supported by 22 countries, the ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
You will play a leading role in the operation and further development of the BM29 BioSAXS beamline as well as in the other activities of the group.
The BM29 BioSAXS beamline is a world-leading facility for Small-Angle X-ray Scattering (SAXS) experiments on solutions of biological macromolecules. Current areas of expertise include, automation, inline chromatography prior to SAXS measurements and the development of microfluidic devices for SAXS experiments.
As part of the BM29 team, your missions are the following:
- Help manage the day-to-day operation and scientific evolution of the beamline so as to meet the high expectations of the user community.
- Support external users through the role of local contact, thus gaining opportunities for collaborative work at the frontiers of the field.
- Further develop the automation available at the beamline.
- Develop your own BioSAXS-based research programme exploiting the properties of the ESRF-EBS source.
Further information may be obtained from Christoph Mueller-Dieckmann (tel.: +33 (0)4 76 88 28 70, email: email@example.com.
- PhD in Structural Biology, Physics or a related subject and several years of postdoctoral experience.
- Extensive experience in using BioSAXS experiments, including data analysis.
- Experience in the use of microfluidics for BioSAXS would be an asset.
- Ability to interact with multi-disciplinary staff and facility users.
- Good time management skills and ability to prioritize.
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF).
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed.
The monthly salary may be complemented by additional allowances upon eligibility (expatriation allowance, etc.).
The appointment is for a fixed period of up to 5 years. However, applicants with outstanding credentials can be considered for a permanent position from the outset.