Research Fellow in Ultrasonic Levitation
We are seeking applications for a research fellow position to support all activities in Dr Ruchi Gupta’s group, and to specifically to develop systems for droplet levitation and manipulation in 3D by shaping of ultrasound waves. Successful delivery of such systems will have revolutionary impact on drug discovery, disease diagnosis, and industrial biotechnology.
Summary of role:
- To undertake research into ultrasonic levitation systems including their design, finite element modelling, construction, characterisation, integration with optical detection, and application under the supervision of Dr Ruchi Gupta.
- To support research within the group to solve problems, collaborate and innovate in scientific directions for the group.
- To produce regular written and oral reports and presentations; attend regular meetings; give regular presentations to the group and collaborators; write papers for publication in peer reviewed scientific journals, proof reading of papers and reports.
- To supervise research students, be responsible for installation and maintenance of equipment and training of personnel on equipment.
Summary of person specification:
- Completed a PhD (or be near to completion) in Engineering, or equivalent qualifications
- Significant experience in designing and building ultrasonic systems particularly, those for levitation of droplets and/or particles
- Some experience in modelling acoustic levitators using finite element modelling packages such as COMSOL Multiphysics.
- Experience in designing optical and electronics instrumentation, and analytical systems is highly desirable.
- Interest in interdisciplinary research and willingness to learn new techniques.
- Ability to keep up to date with new developments in the field.
For further information please contact Dr Ruchi Gupta, email: email@example.com or telephone 0121 414 6119
To download the full job description and details of this position and submit an electronic application online please click on the Apply Online button below or visit https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/staff/jobs/index.aspx Please quote Job Ref 98049 in all enquiries.