Undergraduate Cyber and Infrastructure Summer Institute - Cybersecurity - Summer 2023
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Livermore, California, (US)
- Closing date
- 31 Mar 2023
- Defence & aerospace
- Job type
- Research facilities
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
$21.40 - $29.00 Hourly
This position is under a step structure. Please note that the step placement is determined by your most recent completed academic year.
We have multiple openings for undergraduate students to join the Cyber and Infrastructure Summer Institute (CSI) and to work on topics related to cybersecurity that align with LLNL’s national security missions. The 2023 CSI program will run during the summer with flexible dates between May 1, 2023, and September 30, 2023. CSI is designed to provide selected candidates an opportunity to apply the skills they have acquired to projects in areas of national importance. The program will include opportunities to participate in CTF-style challenges, network with fellow interns and lab employees, and learn more about work going on at LLNL.
In this role, you will
- Provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of cybersecurity, critical infrastructure, and other related fields working with scientists, engineers, and technical staff members.
- Participate in research in assigned area under close supervision.
- Gather and analyze data and information in support of scientific research.
- Participate in research planning and evaluation discussions.
- Attend relevant seminars and training classes (at least one per week).
- Present work in at least one seminar or poster.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing an undergraduate degree in Cybersecurity, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or other related fields.
- Effective programming skills in C/C++, Java, or Python.
- Ability to apply basic principles of computer science to solve cybersecurity problems.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Demonstrated exposure through coursework or relevant experience to some of the following topics: Network/Protocol Analysis; Intrusion Detection; Cryptography; Reverse Engineering; Incident Response; Malware Analysis; Systems Programming; Matlab/Simulink.
Qualifications We Desire
- GPA of 3.0 or above.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Holiday Pay
- Sick leave accrual
- Individual 401(k) contributions
None required. However, this position involves U.S. Export Control; this work must be performed by a U.S. person (U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident, U.S. national, or U.S. protected individual (e.g., refugee, asylee)).
If your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) is the go-to laboratory for science and technology solutions to the toughest and most important problems affecting national and global security. If you are interested in contributing to pushing the frontiers of knowledge to build the scientific and technological foundation that will be needed to address national security issues, then we invite you to apply.
7000 East Avenue
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert