Electron Beam Welding Technician (EN-MME-FW-2021-92-LD)
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
You will join the Engineering Department (EN), which pushes forward the limits of technology so that physicists can carry out their research. Within the Mechanical & Material Engineering Group (MME) of the EN department, you will join the Forming & Welding Section (FW) that provides expertise and support in the field of metal forming and assembly technologies. This Section undertakes the fabrication of prototypes or small series using a wide range of in-house technologies and realizes various development studies.
As an Electron Beam Welding Technician, you will have the opportunity to get involved in the whole lifecycle of mechanical fabrication of components for CERN's particle accelerators. Join a highly qualified team of technicians and engineers in electron beam and laser processes.
Are you passionate by quality fabrication? Are you skilled in combining mechanics, assembly, creativity, and rigour? This is an opportunity for you: you will be part of a multidisciplinary team fabricating the large variety of materials and components used at CERN, in the framework of a wide range of research and development projects. CERN, take part!
- Perform a wide variety of welding operations on different state-of-the art electron beam welding machines for the fabrication of highly technical prototypes and components for accelerators and its experimental facilities;
- Develop welding parameters and tooling to assemble components for demanding applications (e.g. pressure vessels, ultrahigh vacuum, radiofrequency, cryogenics) with a wide range of base materials (e.g. stainless steel, copper and aluminium alloys, niobium, titanium) and thicknesses (from few tenths of millimetre up to centimetres);
- Prepare and manage your own work duly taking into account quality, pricing and scheduling requirements;
- Collaborate closely with the design offices and other engineering resources; give advice to users on electron beam welding technology;
- Contribute to multidisciplinary projects in close co-operation with the other Engineering facilities CERN-wide;
- Ensure the traceability and documentation by producing technical reports and presentations;
- Work in close collaboration with the laser welding team. On the longer term, you are willing to acquire the know-how to operate the laser welding and cutting machines in order to reinforce the service flexibility.
Higher technical diploma or equivalent relevant experience in the field of mechanical engineering or a related field (if integrated with a solid mechanical approach). or a related field.
International Welding Technician diploma (IWT) would be an advantage.
- Proven hands-on experience in:
- the full electron beam welding process: components design, welding tooling design, setting up, programming, assembly and operation,
- using CAD/CAM software, interpretation of drawings and CAD models,
- basic metallurgy of metals.
- Proven hands-on experience of fabrications involving high-precision mechanical engineering.
- The following experiences would be an advantage:
- other joining technologies such as arc welding, laser welding;
- fabrication of cryogenic, radiofrequency, ultra-high vacuum and pressure equipment.
- Knowledge and application of joining techniques: welding: electron beam welding process, welding standards;
- Knowledge and application of manufacturing methods and work preparation: high-precision mechanical engineering, metrology, Non-Destructive Testing;
- Processing of metals and alloys: knowledge of material science applied to welding;
- Programming and use of CNC machine-tools and machining centres: knowledge of CNC programming using ISO code;
- Production of 2D drawings and 3D models: ability to read/interpret technical drawings and ISO tolerancing (dimensional and geometrical product specification standards), ability of drafting technical drawings.
- Working in the Interest of the Organization: behaving consistently with CERN's values and goals Demonstrating motivation for own work, being enthusiastic, involved and energetic in pursuing tasks.
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting Taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen Remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems
- Achieving Results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations Being rigorous and producing quality results at first attempt Having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind
- Communicating Effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point Ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented Providing others with timely information
- Learning and Sharing Knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information Sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer Taking steps to expand knowledge in other areas of expertise beyond own field
Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages, as well as ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 20.10.2021 at 12PM CET.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EN-MME-FW-2021-92-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Technician