Post Career Break Fellowship Programme
Have you taken time out for personal reasons from your career in science or engineering? Would you be interested in returning to a scientific career if you could?
CERN has launched a programme to offer full-time or part-time Fellowships to science and engineering graduates looking for a way back into science. This is an outstanding chance for you to update your knowledge and skills working for up to three years in an international environment at the forefront of research.
Please note that you are applying for a programme and not for a specific job. In order to help us offer you an interesting work project, for those of you in fields other than particle physics we recommend that you let us know how your research interests and skills relate to CERN’s diverse activities. You can include this during the online application process form or in a separate motivation letter.
In order to qualify for a place on the programme you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You have been on a career break for personal reasons (for example for family or caring responsibilities, health issues) for at least two years. Please note that periods of unemployment or a change in field from your studies or in the direction of your career are not considered a “career break” within the spirit of our programme.
- You have either a “Senior Fellow” profile, with a MSc level diploma or PhD and between 4 and 10 years’ relevant experience after completion of your MSc. If you are applying in the fields of experimental or theoretical physics, you must hold a PhD (or be about to finish your thesis).
Alternatively, you have a “Junior Fellow” profile, with a BSc or technical engineer diploma and no more than 4 years’ relevant experience, and you are a national of a CERN Member or Associate Member State (https://home.cern/about/member-states).
- Please note that candidates who are registered as CERN Users may be asked to justify how their status relates to their application.
- CERN Staff members are not eligible to apply for a Fellowship.
CERN would very much like to benefit from your expertise, commitment and passion. In return, CERN will provide you with:
- An employment contract for between 6 months (minimum) up to a maximum of 36 months.
- A stipend ranging from 5,304 to 8,178 Swiss Francs per month (net of tax).
- Coverage by CERN’s comprehensive health scheme (for yourself, your spouse and children), and membership of the CERN Pension Fund.
- Depending on your individual circumstances: an installation grant, family, child and infant allowances as well as travel expenses to and from Geneva.
- 2.5 days of paid leave per month.
Your future Life @CERN
This is how you can apply:
You will need the following documents (in PDF format) to complete your application:
- A CV.
- A letter covering your experience and career break and how your research interests and skills relate to CERN’s diverse activities.
- Your most recent relevant qualification.
- Two letters of recommendation giving an overview of your most relevant academic and/or professional achievements.
- You can upload these letters at the time of application if you have them to hand. You will also be provided with a link as soon as you have submitted your application to forward to your referees to upload their letters confidentially. Please note this must be done before the closing date.
All applications should normally reach us no later than 1 March 2022 at Noon (12.00 PM CEST).