Target Fabrication Engineer - Research Scientist
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Livermore, California, (US)
- Closing date
- 20 Mar 2023
- Materials science
- Job type
- Research facilities
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$148,650 - $200,328 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Research Scientist who will become a core member of an interdisciplinary team working on advancement of complex articles called targets in support of the National Ignition Facility (NIF) at LLNL and other national security programs. Targets are intricate assemblies of numerous finely manufactured components and are comprised of the essential elements of experiments on these high energy laser systems. Consequently, they raise many interesting challenges whose resolution requires a combination of materials & mechanical engineering and metrology science with a solid sense of practical implementation of advanced new processes. You will become the spearhead for science and technology projects that drive new innovations for the Laboratory’s missions. This position is in the NIF Target Materials group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Provide technical leadership and solutions to materials development projects with a goal of meeting the stringent requirements that are needed for HED experiments.
- Propose and spearhead new ideas and methodologies to investigate the multi-disciplinary science required to solve the complex needs of the program.
- Provide comprehensive data analysis to understand and resolve subtle problems and communicate research results as well as periodic progress reports. Develop and implement deep learning techniques.
- Design and implement novel materials processing and characterization techniques including vapor phase deposition or precision polishing techniques, advanced microscopy, interferometry, X-ray techniques, etc.
- Perform in-depth project planning and assignment of critical priorities and goals to ensure that all deliverables are met on time.
- Collaborate in the design, modeling, and analysis of laboratory experiments and develop fabrication equipment, measurement instrumentation, and procedures as required while maintaining high safety and security standards.
- Periodically present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings and publish technical work in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Engineering such as Mechanical, Chemical or Materials Science/Engineering, Physics or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience
- Significant experience in challenging, goal-oriented projects requiring substantial understanding of sensors, advance microscopy such as holographic microscopy and other metrology tools for smart manufacturing.
- Advanced knowledge of signal analysis, regression and deep learning methods for complex data analysis, feature extraction and anomaly detection.
- Ability to perform hands-on work in a laboratory or fast paced production facility such as developing robust processes and commissioning new systems, trouble-shooting equipment malfunctions, etc.
- Ability to develop analytical kinematic and physics-based models and simulation
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to deliver presentations and prepare written reports, explain technical information, and provide advice to management.
- Advanced interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff within a collaborative research environment, and the ability to work independently.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Engineering such as Mechanical, Chemical or Materials. Science/Engineering, Physics or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience in software programs such as Python, C, Matlab; GUI design, Monte-Carlo simulations, etc.
- Familiarity with ML toolkits such as Tensorflow, Scikit-learn, Orange, SAS, etc.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Education Assistance
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) is the go-to laboratory for science and technology solutions to the toughest and most important problems affecting national and global security. If you are interested in contributing to pushing the frontiers of knowledge to build the scientific and technological foundation that will be needed to address national security issues, then we invite you to apply.
7000 East Avenue
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert