Biologist - Structural Biology, Protein Biochemistry, or Biophysics
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Livermore, California, (US)
- Closing date
- 31 Mar 2023
- Biophysics & bioengineering
- Job type
- Research facilities
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$123,960 - $166,992 Annually for the SES.2 level
$148,650 - $200,328 Annually for the SES.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
NOTE: This is a flexible term position dependent on project funding. Current funding is expected for at least 3 years.
We have an opening for a Biologistwith expertise in Structural Biology, Protein Biochemistry, or Biophysics. We are seeking a life science staff researcher to conduct research and development in infectious disease research and countermeasure development for future pandemic preparedness. Successful applicants will actively participate in research to develop a pipeline for producing and testing biologic countermeasures, principally therapeutic antibodies. Positions are in the Microbiology/Immunology or Bionanomaterials group in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level, depending on your qualifications. Additional job duties will be assigned at the higher level.
In this role you will:
- Conduct fundamental research in biologic countermeasure production and characterization
- Design and produce DNA plasmids for recombinant protein expression
- Scale up and optimize recombinant protein expression, including expression with eukaryotic systems, for structural and biophysical characterization
- Assist in the development and optimization of parallel protein characterization assays, e.g., SPR, BLI, DLS, SLS.
- Optimize antigen: antibody complex purification and assist in crystallization screening and/or preparation for electron microscopy imaging
- Assist with protein crystallography and/or CryoEM imaging data collection and analysis
- Collaborate on research plans, generating and interpreting results, and contributing to progress reports and peer-reviewed journal articles
- Work with other scientists to expand programs for national preparedness against pandemic and other infectious disease threats
- Contribute to funding programs progress reports and participation in multi-institution program meeting and scientific conferences.
- Interact with a large interdisciplinary team of scientists, project and program leaders, and commercial partners
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional duties at the SES.3 level:
- Conceive, develop, and implement approaches for biochemical/structural/biophysical characterization of recombinant proteins, e.g. protein stability, solubility, binding specificity assessments
- Assist with analysis of crystallography and/or CryoEM datasets and complex structural model building
- Have frequent interactions with contract research organizations to explore and/or execute commercial complementation toward program goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meeting.
- Work with computational biologists and data scientists to inform computational design of biologic countermeasures.
- MS in Biological Science, Structural Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, or a relevant field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience in recombinant protein expression, purification, and biophysical characterization.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively in a interdisciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information
- Exceptionally strong collaboration and communication skills to work effectively across an organization with diverse expertise.
- Works effectively in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary environment both independently and as a team with a diverse set of scientists, and other technical and administrative staff
- Effective problem-solving skills to implement solutions of limited complexity.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level:
- PhD in Biological Science, Structural Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, or a relevant field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience
- Significant experience in recombinant protein expression, purification and biophysical characterization
- Significant experience in protein structural characterization methods, for example protein crystallography, electron microscopy, NMR, or cross-linked mass spectrometry
- Knowledge of molecular biology for gene synthesis, hands on or outsourced; molecular cloning; and recombinant protein expression
- Ability to work with at a high level of independence as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature
Qualifications we desire:
- Experience with laboratory information management software
- Experience in tissue culture and transfection of eukaryotic cells for protein expression
- Experience expressing and purifying a range of protein classes for structural biology
- Structural biology for study of microbial pathogenesis
- Expertise in protein biochemistry and/or biophysics
- Structural biology, computational or experimental
- Immunology training or experience
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years. If final candidate is a Career Indefinite employee, Career Indefinite status may be maintained (should funding allow).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Education Assistance
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) is the go-to laboratory for science and technology solutions to the toughest and most important problems affecting national and global security. If you are interested in contributing to pushing the frontiers of knowledge to build the scientific and technological foundation that will be needed to address national security issues, then we invite you to apply.
7000 East Avenue
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert