Electrical Engineer or Communications Engineer as Scientist for High Frequency System LINAC II
7 days left
- Job type
- Research facilities
Unlimited | Starting date: earliest possible | ID: MMA058/2021 | Deadline: 27.10.2021 | Full-time/Part-time
DESY, with its more than 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world's leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The free-electron lasers FLASH and XFEL as well as the storage ring PETRA are currently the most brilliant light sources in the VUV and X-ray range worldwide. Within the accelerator division at DESY, the group MIN is responsible for the development and operation of the pre-accelerator complex in the vicinity of the synchrotron light source PETRA. In addition, MIN is responsible DESY-wide for the development, construction and operation of all short-pulsed high-power high-frequency systems, all fast pulsed magnet systems including associated discharge pulsers and all beam absorber systems.
Our team, consisting of around 35 employees, handles a wide range of challenging tasks in the areas of high voltage and high frequency technology, magnet construction and vacuum technology, electronics and control.
We are looking for a qualified physicist or engineer to strengthen this team.
About your role
Development of a concept for the high frequency (RF) system of the future linear accelerator in the PETRA pre-accelerator complex; this means:
- Characterization of existing short-pulse RF systems at DESY
- Analysis of the existing LINAC II RF concept in international comparison of similar systems
- Identification of needs for extensions or potential for improvements
- Design of system extensions, preparation of technical specifications for that
- Construction of prototypes and application of high precision measurement technology
- Development of scientific models
- Development and implementation of technical improvements in the context of the scientific program of the particle accelerators
Good reasons to join
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work life balance we offer flexible working hours, variable part-time and job-sharing. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration is according to the regulations of the TV-AVH.
- Completed scientific university education with PhD in electrical engineering, physics or equivalent expertise, skills and experience
- Very good expertise in the field of accelerator technology
- In-depth expertise in the field of accelerator physics and high frequency technology
- Many years of relevant experience in the field of operations of particle accelerators
- Experience in the design and construction of accelerator components
- Many years of relevant experience in the field of high-power RF technology for accelerator facilities
- Suitability for working near high frequency systems, high voltage systems and magnetic fields
- Independent mobility on and between the different DESY locations as well as within underground accelerator facilities
- Very good knowledge of German and English
- Interest in new challenges as well as being able to work in a team; communication skills
For further information please contact Heiko Ehrlichmann at +49 40 8998-4631.
Please kindly submit your complete application documents including your salary expectations.
We look forward to receiving your application via our application portal:
DESY promotes equal opportunities and diversity. The professional development of women is very important to us and therefore we strongly encourage women to apply for the vacant position. Applications from severely disabled persons will be given preference if they are equally qualified.
You can find further information here: